+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about start date of PR

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I became a PR when I landed in Canada on 28/07/2017 with my COPR and my PR Card arrived on 04/11/2017 on which it states that the expiry date of PR Card is 04/11/2022.

So now my question is for PR Obligations, since when will my time be counted.
1. Since when i landed in Canada with my COPR ?
OR
2. Since when i got my PR Card ?

Regards.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello Everyone,

I became a PR when I landed in Canada on 28/07/2017 with my COPR and my PR Card arrived on 04/11/2017 on which it states that the expiry date of PR Card is 04/11/2022.

OR

Regards.
28/07/2017, since you became permanent resident
the PR card is just to enter to Canada (just for traveling)

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Maybe mine is different but I received my card many weeks after I landed and it is my landing date that is on the card - not the date it was printed....

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I would just go with the dates on your PR card. on the back it gives the date you landed.
the landing date and place is at the back of the PR Card
Focus.

The OP, @nikolain, did NOT refer to or ask anything about any date on the back of the OP's PR card but, rather, the OP referred to and asked about three particular dates:
-- date of landing, 28/07/2017​
-- date the PR Card arrived on 04/11/2017​
-- the PR card's expiry date (as printed on the card) 04/11/2022.​

And the simple, direct, accurate response is that the first five year time period for calculating Residency Obligation compliance is based on the date of landing. "Date of landing" would suffice.

Sure, the OP should be able to readily verify the date of landing by looking at the back of the PR card. But that does not answer the question.

And that date is but one of several dates (well, three) printed on the card. Thus, "go with the dates on your PR card" is actually misleading without a qualifier that clearly says to go with the date that is the date of landing, not the other dates on the card. For sure, do not go with the date printed on the PR card which should be the PR's date of birth. And almost as for sure, do not go with the date printed on the PR card which is its expiry date.

Hello Everyone,

OR

Regards.
RO compliance is initially based on the date you became a PR. The date you landed. It appears that for you that was July 28, 2017.

To be clear, this is ONLY about calculating compliance during the first five years after landing.

As of July 29, 2022, your RO compliance will be based on the five years immediately preceding the date your RO compliance is examined. Thus, for example, if you happen to go abroad in the summer of 2022 and you are returning to Canada August 3, 2022, your compliance with the RO will be based on how many days you have been in Canada between August 3, 2017 and August 3, 2022.

If you make an application for a new PR card November 1, 2022, your compliance with the RO will be measured based on days in Canada between November 1, 2017 and November 1, 2022, BUT may also be determined based on a later date -- for example, if you need to pick up the PR card in person, and you do so on, say, December 19, 2022, you may be examined as to your compliance with the RO based on days in Canada between December 19, 2017 and December 19, 2022.

And if indeed you are issued and delivered a new PR card in December 2022, and you then take a trip for the holiday season, returning to Canada, say, January 16, 2023, upon presenting your almost brand new PR card you are still subject to showing you meet the PR RO as of that day, meaning you could be examined as to RO compliance that day and that will be based on the number of days in Canada between January 16, 2018 and January 16, 2023.

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Focus.

The OP, @nikolain, did NOT refer to or ask anything about any date on the back of the OP's PR card but, rather, the OP referred to and asked about three particular dates:
-- date of landing, 28/07/2017​
-- date the PR Card arrived on 04/11/2017​
-- the PR card's expiry date (as printed on the card) 04/11/2022.​

And the simple, direct, accurate response is that the first five year time period for calculating Residency Obligation compliance is based on the date of landing. "Date of landing" would suffice.

Sure, the OP should be able to readily verify the date of landing by looking at the back of the PR card. But that does not answer the question.

And that date is but one of several dates (well, three) printed on the card. Thus, "go with the dates on your PR card" is actually misleading without a qualifier that clearly says to go with the date that is the date of landing, not the other dates on the card. For sure, do not go with the date printed on the PR card which should be the PR's date of birth. And almost as for sure, do not go with the date printed on the PR card which is its expiry date.

RO compliance is initially based on the date you became a PR. The date you landed. It appears that for you that was July 28, 2017.

To be clear, this is ONLY about calculating compliance during the first five years after landing.

As of July 29, 2022, your RO compliance will be based on the five years immediately preceding the date your RO compliance is examined. Thus, for example, if you happen to go abroad in the summer of 2022 and you are returning to Canada August 3, 2022, your compliance with the RO will be based on how many days you have been in Canada between August 3, 2017 and August 3, 2022.

If you make an application for a new PR card November 1, 2022, your compliance with the RO will be measured based on days in Canada between November 1, 2017 and November 1, 2022, BUT may also be determined based on a later date -- for example, if you need to pick up the PR card in person, and you do so on, say, December 19, 2022, you may be examined as to your compliance with the RO based on days in Canada between December 19, 2017 and December 19, 2022.

And if indeed you are issued and delivered a new PR card in December 2022, and you then take a trip for the holiday season, returning to Canada, say, January 16, 2023, upon presenting your almost brand new PR card you are still subject to showing you meet the PR RO as of that day, meaning you could be examined as to RO compliance that day and that will be based on the number of days in Canada between January 16, 2018 and January 16, 2023.
you are so smart, thanks
to much

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you everyone for your inputs, i'll consider my Landing Date as the date from which the 5 years begin.