+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about some rules..!!

bsdabhi

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Hey there,

My details are, I came to Canada on a student visa and studied chemical lab tech for 2 years which is a post secondary program. And then I applied and got a work permit of 3 years. So I am on a valid work permit right now working as a quality lab technician.
Now, I've been married and I wanna sponsor my husband on a spouse visa/dependent visa. So I know, as I am having a valid 3 yrs work permit untill March 2016 plus I am working on a good skilled position in a well known company so I can call him on a dependent visa (on my dependence). Right?
The problem arises because I've heard that if I'll call my husband on my dependence(on the basis of my work permit) , I'll be facing much hurdles and my file will also be very weak later on when I'll apply for PR which is just after 6 months from now.
I've heard that spouse arrival on a dependent visa of a partner ,who is already living in Canada, creates BAD impact on the partner's PR application ,who is already living in Canada,.

Sorry for sucha weirdo question..!!

But thanks in adv for your help..!!

Shankar Iyer

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Hi there,

I had a chuckle after reading yyour question... :). No offence but what you heard about creating a bad impression is just a rumour or someone trying to discourage you.

Having your husband here as a dependent will have no affect on your PR application, CIC will not dislike you for that. Infact having your spouse here makes it easier for you as you can apply as a family instead of him being in your home country. I have several friends who had their wifes and children on dependant status in Canada and today they are permanent residents of this country.

So have no fear and invite your husband. And this is extra information.... i dont know whether yours is an open work permit or tied to your employer, but irrespective of that your husband should get an open work permit as a dependent which means he can work under any profession and any location.

Good luck

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
bsdabhi said:
Hey there,

My details are, I came to Canada on a student visa and studied chemical lab tech for 2 years which is a post secondary program. And then I applied and got a work permit of 3 years. So I am on a valid work permit right now working as a quality lab technician.
Now, I've been married and I wanna sponsor my husband on a spouse visa/dependent visa. So I know, as I am having a valid 3 yrs work permit untill March 2016 plus I am working on a good skilled position in a well known company so I can call him on a dependent visa (on my dependence). Right?
The problem arises because I've heard that if I'll call my husband on my dependence(on the basis of my work permit) , I'll be facing much hurdles and my file will also be very weak later on when I'll apply for PR which is just after 6 months from now.
I've heard that spouse arrival on a dependent visa of a partner ,who is already living in Canada, creates BAD impact on the partner's PR application ,who is already living in Canada,.

Hi:

First of all, there is no dependent visa in Canada. You can apply either Visitor Visa or open work permit for your Husband. But I would suggest you to apply Visitor Visa which I did. Based on your current salary and your husband visa would get approved or rejected. To make your application stronger, show them that he'll go back to your country after visa expiry. However after coming here, you can extend his visa.

Another thing is that its no way impact your PR application. Either he is being here or in your native country your PR application would be treated same.

Regards

Shankar Iyer

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
I assumed your employer is sponsoring the husband's visa... if not what orgchem said is correct. If you try to bring him here then he might no get a WP, but check with the CIC call centre 1-888-242-2100

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
bsdabhi said:
Hey there,

You know nothing girl :)...

Step 1: Ask your husband to apply for dependent visa (which he will get for sure)
Step 2: He will come here and apply for workpermit
step3: Once you have a year exp, apply for CEC

Easy...regarding ur comments about dependent..People in immigration knows how important immediate family is so stop assuming.

bsdabhi

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Again confused..!!!

One person is saying that theres nothing like dependent visa in CIC and the other person is telling me to get the dependent visa for my husband..!!! :( :-\

what should I exactly do??

But I guess the visitor visa option is good. right? Because i am very sorry people but I forgot to mention one major thing over here and that's my husband has already got a rejection before 2-3 months when he applied on a work permit.

but it was a very simple case and I am extra sure that CIC messed it up big time..!!! Cuz he got a job offer from a canadian company located in montreal. and that company did everything for him. CIC did inquiry in his office to double check if he has a valid job at back home or not. and the office people replied well. like yeah this person is working over here since this time and he has a clean record. and all positive things. but still at the end he got the rejection with a reason that CIC dint get enough feedback from your office so we are rejecting your visa..! (which is bull shit..!!)

so now I am thinking if he will apply again on a work permit, CIC again will screw him up.

but yeah if he is applying on my dependence then the file can be stronger cuz I have a good job over here and m here since 2011 with a clean record.

and the last option is visiter visa. where CIC wont get confused with. and issue him without any doubt cuz he will show me and my relatives as his family friends and he has some other friends too. so he is coming to visit them. and then he will show his back home job as a reason to go back to the mother land as the visitor visa gets expired. but when he is here in canada on visitor visa meanwhile he can apply for a work permit which can extend his stay. right?

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Visa = Permission to Enter Country (Canada for you).
Permit = Permission to Stay in Country (Canada for you)

When your husband applies for TRV (temporary resident visa), he will have to satisfy the visa officer, that he will return to his country at the end of his visit. If he receives a TRV, he can come to Canada, and you can apply for OWP (open work permit) for him. OWP will be given in consistent with your work permit, so now if you have 2 years left on your permit, your husband also gets 2 years permit, which will let him stay with you in Canada for 2 years.

Yes, there is nothing called "Dependent visa" or "Spouse visa". Just ask him to apply for a normal tourist visa.
Yes, he can apply for work permit, and stay with you in Canada.

mack_ra

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
As far as dependent visa and dependent open work permit is concerned, you have following 3 options -

1. Apply for a dependent visa (TRV) for your husband and tell him travel to Canada on this TRV. Upon arrival at the airport, your husband can ask the immigration if he can get a dependent open work permit (DOWP). Ask him to carry his original certificates. He will be issued a work permit there and then at the point of entry and it will cost CAD 160 (carry cash or a valid CC)

2. If for some reason the immigration denies the WP at the port of entry, you apply for DOWP from within Canada.

3. Apply for TRV and DOWP together at your home country, i guess, this might take long but not sure.

Regarding your PR -- your husband with a DOWP can only affect your case in one way .. and that is strengthen your case as both the partner will be contributing to the Canadian economy.

Good Luck !!

tee1

Star Member
Oct 20, 2013
An open spousal work permit!!
That's the official term you are looking for when people are referring to dependent visa's and such.

If you work in an occupation in NOC 0, A or B then you're Husband is eligible to apply. I'd imagine your occupation is NOC B but check

The alternative is to apply for a visitor visa for him but he could not work. Called a TRV, temporary resident visa.

If he want's to work, apply for the work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

You may find this thread helpful

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dilemma-spouse-open-work-permit-or-trv-please-suggest-t172483.0.html