+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about selling things online without a working permit.

Mirna Lola

Mar 26, 2012
I am in Canada on a Temporary Resident visa.
Im planning to apply for partnership in December of this year with my boyfriend who is a Canadian citizen and upon failing to find someone to sponsor my working permit application I started thinking about selling my hand made jewelry on sites like Etsy and Ebay. Now I am confused cause it say's all the goods need to be taxed,so obviously this is considered to be your own online shop (as legit as every other shop) which would make a small business owner. Since I do not have a working permit I was wondering does anyone know what should I do (should I apply for a working permit so I can sell online,if so what kind of permit) .
Should I and can I register my business (if so how do I do that,and where) .
I am not sure how would immigration services look at this whole thing considering I always thought since it was online it has nothing to do with working permits and such.

I am totally lost and confused,and im just trying to figure out how to make some money (without breaking any laws) until we send out our Partnership application (and I apply for an open working permit) .

Thank you all so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there's no legal way for you to work from Canada. You don't qualify for any kind of work permit at this time and it's illegal to work while you're here on a TRV. You also cannot register a business (again, as a TRV holder, you are not allowed to work or do business in Canada).

Legally, your only real choice is to wait until you qualify for the open work permit through sponsal sponsorship. (Assuming you are applying inland, your open work permit should be approved about 11-12 months after you submit the application.)

Mirna Lola

Mar 26, 2012
When I called migration office the advice they gave me was to send the application to the closest immigration office outside Canada-even though I will be applying while im in Canada (which would be USA) and apply through there to shorten the time of application processing. Even though that is a bit confusing cause if im in Canada how can I apply through the abroad office..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's the right advice. You didn't say where you were from in your original post. Since you're from the US - applying "outland" is definitely the far faster way to go. You will send the entire application package to Mississauga and then indicate that you want the file processed through Buffalo. Once Mississauga has finished their review, your application will be sent to Buffalo.

You can apply outland while visiting Canada for an extended period of time (my own husband did this). Your home address should still be your address in the US. However you should use your address in Canada as your mailing address.

With the outland process, you would be eligible to work until the entire application has been approved and you have "landed" in Canada as a new permanent resident.