+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion About Job Offer

chat2ash

May 6, 2015
Hello Guys

I have been working in Canada for over a year now and have a full time permanent job.
While applying for Express Entry, there was a question , if I have a Job Offer or not.
Now I am confused, when they say job offer, does CIC mean job offer with LMIA or regular job offer which does not need LMIA ?

I do not have LMIA.

If anybody could answer my question that would be really appreciated.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
IIRC there is a FAQ page on CIC website noting say yes to "Do you have a job offer" only when you have LMIA-based job. And that's what I put in. I can't find that page now, it was discussed in this forum before.

I did tried to say yes, and then answer No to "Do you have LMIA" and "Job does not need LMIA" further down the form, and no 600 points awarded to me, as expected.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mf4361 said:
IIRC there is a FAQ page on CIC website noting say yes to "Do you have a job offer" only when you have LMIA-based job. And that's what I put in. I can't find that page now, it was discussed in this forum before.

I did tried to say yes, and then answer No to "Do you have LMIA" and "Job does not need LMIA" further down the form, and no 600 points awarded to me, as expected.
This has been an area of discussion for a long time. Most people will tell you to say no if you don't have an LMIA, and, indeed, there is or was a direction to that effect on the CIC website. I think, since you can later indicate that you do not have an LMIA, that it is dishonest to say you don't have a job offer when you do. To that, some people will say "Yes, but CIC clearly defines a valid job offer as one with an LMIA," to which I say, "The question asked if I had a job offer, NOT if I had a VALID job offer." So there is room for disagreement there.

If you say yes, and then no to LMIA, of course you will not get the 600 points. Once you get an ITA, though, you will be asked to provide the job offer and a letter of employment. To me, this opens up the door to use your salary as at least partial Proof of Funds, if your invitation was under FSW, as mine was. I was not so brave as to RELY on my salary for proof of funds - I have the required money in savings - but I think it should help to prove I can establish myself in Canada financially, so I am glad I answered 'yes'.

Which path you take will depend on your interpretation of the question or set of questions. In my case, I felt it was safer to acknowledge that I do indeed have a permanent source of income in Canada, that I would like to keep.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
It's always clear that a "VALID" job offer is only backed by LMIA. OWP who don't have LMIA (like myself) has a INVALID job offer (As in the eyes of CIC)

And I was reading the same as you do. A job offer is a job, valid or not. I always see that as a question to determine your FSWP eligibility. (you get FSWP points (Not CRS points) for having a job on Open WP without LMIA)

It was only until I saw that FAQ page that i can't quote, I changed my mind and the setting to No.

I have enough to prove fund so source of income doesn't bother me.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mf4361 said:
It's always clear that a "VALID" job offer is only backed by LMIA. OWP who don't have LMIA (like myself) has a INVALID job offer (As in the eyes of CIC)

And I was reading the same as you do. A job offer is a job, valid or not. I always see that as a question to determine your FSWP eligibility. (you get FSWP points (Not CRS points) for having a job on Open WP without LMIA)

It was only until I saw that FAQ page that i can't quote, I changed my mind and the setting to No.

I have enough to prove fund so source of income doesn't bother me.
That makes sense. I think it makes sense either way, so people like us on an open work permit have a choice. I saw the funds thing as my weak point, as I have barely enough in savings to cover my partner and myself. But I have my salary, which is many times what is needed, and I wanted to make that clear as a source of income.

chat2ash

May 6, 2015
Thank you for your answers.
I actually put Yes for the question and submitted my profile.
Now I am worried if I should change it or not.

Sighman

Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC pretty clear on this one:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1009&t=29

Basically if you don't have an LMIA (or LMO) then you should say NO.

Regards!