+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about how to send PPR documents to New York VO

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello!
Does anyone know how long after you send your passport should you hear back from VFS? Apparently my passport has been at IRCC office since 9/22 and still no update. Getting a bit worried as I have a ticket booked for Calgary on Tuesday.
A couple of weeks to a month is not unusual, depends on location. At this point, all you can do is contact VFS and possibly change your ticket.

Reactions: Nidz88

gnarlsstarkly

Sep 2, 2021
Hello!
Does anyone know how long after you send your passport should you hear back from VFS? Apparently my passport has been at IRCC office since 9/22 and still no update. Getting a bit worried as I have a ticket booked for Calgary on Tuesday.
Which country would this be from?

Nidz88

Jul 7, 2020
Completely agree that their instructions can sometimes be very confusing. But turns out when you pay for those shipping labels, it includes the envelope too(FedEx provides this to VFS). Just got the passport back.
How long did it take to get your passport back?

gnarlsstarkly

Sep 2, 2021
It was NY for us too. It took less than a week from submission to FedEx, to getting it back. But I've been following multiple forums online and people have mentioned it could be up to 14 days or so. I wouldn't worry about it just now if I were you.

Nidz88

Jul 7, 2020
It was NY for us too. It took less than a week from submission to FedEx, to getting it back. But I've been following multiple forums online and people have mentioned it could be up to 14 days or so. I wouldn't worry about it just now if I were you.
Oh wow that’s pretty quick. Yes hopefully some news by Monday. Goodluck with the move.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Completely agree that their instructions can sometimes be very confusing. But turns out when you pay for those shipping labels, it includes the envelope too(FedEx provides this to VFS). Just got the passport back.
Oh interesting! That's nice of them. Glad you got your passport back, congratulations!

Reactions: gnarlsstarkly

timuster

Jun 23, 2020
Hi all, we received a passport request (to be sent to the New York location).

I am the principal applicant (for Permanent Resident applicant) with my spouse added as a dependent.

The email from IRCC states that all documents should be sent in a single package. However, the VFS website states " ... avail mandatory two-way courier (per applicant)".

I am confused if I need to include my wife as a separate applicant in the Excel sheet (that they ask to fill out), or whether only the primary applicant needs to be added to that Excel table.

I'd really appreciate any guidance!

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Hi all, we received a passport request (to be sent to the New York location).

I am the principal applicant (for Permanent Resident applicant) with my spouse added as a dependent.

The email from IRCC states that all documents should be sent in a single package. However, the VFS website states " ... avail mandatory two-way courier (per applicant)".

I am confused if I need to include my wife as a separate applicant in the Excel sheet (that they ask to fill out), or whether only the primary applicant needs to be added to that Excel table.

I'd really appreciate any guidance!
I didn't encounter your situation so I cannot speak with complete certainty, but it would logically make sense to me to have both you and your wife's information on the same Excel table for VFS. You need your documents to enter Canada, as does your wife as your dependent.
It logically (to me) would make zero sense to not put her on any Excel spreadsheet at all, and it also logically (to me) would not make sense to put her on to a separate Excel spreadsheet from you. Of course, VFS defies logic at time so I can't say for sure...

If no one else can give you an answer on here, unfortunately you will have to reach out to VFS to ask... hopefully they will give you the right answer.

cnyel1967

Aug 8, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my U.S. citizen husband to Canada by family class sponsorship. I am currently living in Canada, and he is living in the US. We just got PPR yesterday from the New York VO, and we had some confusion while reading through all the instructions. Hoping that someone(s) who has been through sending PPR to NYVO can help us out!
@StellaArtois - I just read through the 3 pages of this forum that you started in Oct., 2020 and it has been very useful. Your detailed information and responses have been most helpful and reassuring! Our PPR was just received at the VFS in NYC this past Friday and was acknowledged to be forwarded to IIRC. Just waiting on approval and COPR any day now. Unlike many on the forum, we're not in a terrible hurry to land in Canada (from the USA), but will likely "soft-land" at some point this winter and move in the Spring/Summer (depending on when COPR expires). Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: StellaArtois

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
@StellaArtois - I just read through the 3 pages of this forum that you started in Oct., 2020 and it has been very useful. Your detailed information and responses have been most helpful and reassuring! Our PPR was just received at the VFS in NYC this past Friday and was acknowledged to be forwarded to IIRC. Just waiting on approval and COPR any day now. Unlike many on the forum, we're not in a terrible hurry to land in Canada (from the USA), but will likely "soft-land" at some point this winter and move in the Spring/Summer (depending on when COPR expires). Thanks again!
You're welcome, and congratulations!! Hope you have a smooth transition to your new life in Canada!

Reactions: cnyel1967

madmed

Oct 28, 2021
I just received the passport request letters for me and my wife, but can't find the instructions on the VFS website on how to send the passports. They must have changed the urls or something recently because I can't even find the excel sheet mentioned earlier in this thread.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
I just received the passport request letters for me and my wife, but can't find the instructions on the VFS website on how to send the passports. They must have changed the urls or something recently because I can't even find the excel sheet mentioned earlier in this thread.
I looked at the VFS website just now and yup... it looks like they've done a revamp since we went through the system. Everything about doing PPR through VFS seems to be totally gone.

It is unfortunate but it seems like you'll have to contact VFS directly for answers and hope they give you the right answers. Sorry that our experience can't be of help :(

RebelBelle

Oct 29, 2021
Hi everyone! We just received 2 auto-generated confirmation emails from FedEx for the 2-way courier this morning....but we have not received our shipping labels yet.

Did you guys receive auto-generated emails from FedEx FIRST, and then the shipping labels later? What was the timespan between getting the auto-generated emails and the labels?

My husband and I were hoping to send our package today (Friday) before FedEx closes for the weekend. Looks like we may not be that lucky!