23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my U.S. citizen husband to Canada by family class sponsorship. I am currently living in Canada, and he is living in the US. We just got PPR yesterday from the New York VO, and we had some confusion while reading through all the instructions. Hoping that someone(s) who has been through sending PPR to NYVO can help us out!

Here is my understanding of what needs to be gathered based solely on the PPR letter:
-two Canada sized passport pictures enclosed in separate envelopes, with PA's full name, date of birth, application number, name + address of the photography studio, and date the photo was taken written on the back
-a printed copy of the Passport Request letter with Appendix A completed by by the PA
-a photocopy of the picture page of the PA's passport

Here is my understanding of how the above things need to be sent:
-using courier registered mail, the above items should be sent plus a pre-paid return envelope to the New York Visa Application Centre at
Visa Application Centre – New York
145 West 45th Street, 4th floor
New York NY 10036
U.S.A.

Here is where we have some questions...
-Given that I, the sponsor, as a Canadian Citizen am not in need of a Confirmation of Permanent Residence, In "Appendix A - Updated Information Chart" of the PPR, would the PA only have to fill out the row for "Principal Applicant", or should he also fill out (on my behalf) the row for "Spouse"?
-Is letter sized envelopes for the package acceptable? Or should they be legal sized?

Additionally, in the PPR letter, there is a section about how to submit the package to the New York Visa Application Center and it directs me to this very confusing website: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/how_to_apply.html#temporary_documents
I have many questions arising because of information from this website that is not at all mentioned in the PPR...

-the website both states that the New York office will NOT accept FedEx, and also states to use FedEx.labels specifically requested through them. Is it truly necessary to contact vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com to obtain these "mandatory two-way courier vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com & receive the mail-in application FedEx labels"? Or can we use any courier service as long as we include a pre-paid return envelope?

-the website also states that the PA needs to include in the package 2 completed copies of the "TT Services Consent Form" from https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/pdf/Consent-Form-TTS-English-L.pdf but I do not see any metion of this in the PPR. Again, are these TT Services Consent forms truly necessary or can we skip these consent forms??

-finally, the website has a list of additional fees on this page https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/Service_and_Service_Charge.html and apparently we are supposed to include a money order to cover the fees. However, I do not see any mention of additional fees in the PPR.. Do we actually need to pay these fees? And if we do have to pay these fees, exactly which ones are applicable to us? Would they be Package transmission ($20.40 USD), Printing ($0.50 USD per page), and Two-Way Courier Service ($67.10 USD per package)?

Thank you again for your help! If this is not the correct forum to post to, please let me know and I'll try elsewhere!

Reactions: Jude59 and Helina93

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
Hey there! I just came across your thread and I am so glad I did because we’re currently also experiencing the same confusion with New York VAC office. Isn’t it weird the PPR letter doesn’t mention any of the instructions that are on the VAC’s website?!
Just hoping to find out how did it go for you in the end? Did you guys figure it out? Thanks a bunch!

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Hey there! I just came across your thread and I am so glad I did because we’re currently also experiencing the same confusion with New York VAC office. Isn’t it weird the PPR letter doesn’t mention any of the instructions that are on the VAC’s website?!
Just hoping to find out how did it go for you in the end? Did you guys figure it out? Thanks a bunch!
Yes we eventually figured it out, it's super annoying because the instructions on the VAC's website are full of contradictions, when I contacted their live agents they all basically just copy and paste a script and had like zero common sense/logic/problem-solving skills... I was gonna make a new thread with detailed instructions for everyone else forced to go through the NY VO because they suck lol. But yeah New York has a whole bunch of extra things that you wouldn't need if only you could go through Mississauga... it really adds delay and it's too bad.

Do you want the detailed run-down of what needs to be done? I am a little busy right now but I can try to post it later tonight.

Reactions: Georgiya

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
Oh thanks so much for getting back to me so quick! :) I’m glad you guys had it all figured out in the end. I was relieved we weren’t the only ones going through this confusion!

In regards to requirements, thanks so much for offering to help with explanations - I think we more or less have an idea from VAC’s website pages that we’ve read and re-read a couple of times, lol.

We just sent out the email to their shipping label email address and are anxiously awaiting for the link to make the payment once + the shipping labels via email.

If you could please kindly let me know - did you wait long for the link and shipping labels to be sent back you via email? Also wondering how long did it take the VAC to process your ‘case’ and send back the stamped passport? When we called today, they told me something about them forwarding the passport to a Canadian consulate for stamping.. which might take some time apparently.. lol and I thought they did it all by themselves at the office!

I’d be so grateful for your answers, thanks so much again for taking your time to answer! :)

Reactions: StellaArtois

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Oh thanks so much for getting back to me so quick! :) I’m glad you guys had it all figured out in the end. I was relieved we weren’t the only ones going through this confusion!

In regards to requirements, thanks so much for offering to help with explanations - I think we more or less have an idea from VAC’s website pages that we’ve read and re-read a couple of times, lol.

We just sent out the email to their shipping label email address and are anxiously awaiting for the link to make the payment once + the shipping labels via email.

If you could please kindly let me know - did you wait long for the link and shipping labels to be sent back you via email? Also wondering how long did it take the VAC to process your ‘case’ and send back the stamped passport? When we called today, they told me something about them forwarding the passport to a Canadian consulate for stamping.. which might take some time apparently.. lol and I thought they did it all by themselves at the office!

I’d be so grateful for your answers, thanks so much again for taking your time to answer! :)
After I e-mailed them initially with my husband's information (he is the PA), 2 business days later they sent two separate e-mails in reply - one confirming that they received our information (sent to my e-mail), and one a few hours later with the link to make payment (sent to my husband's e-mail). After we paid and emailed them back with the receipt and again repeated our information, 2 business days later, they e-mailed a pdf of the shipping labels (to my email).

Once we sent the package with all the requirements for both the NY VO and the IRCC's actual requirements, they received it on the following business day, they forwarded it to the Canadian consulate one business day after that, our status in GCKEY for eligibility was changed to passed and final decision made one business day after that, then 2 business days later they mailed back our package, and we received it one more business day later.

The whole process essentially is doubled in time with the whole back and forth of emails in the beginning because your are forced to use shipping labels specifically generated by them manually. Super annoying and unnecessary... but oh well. I'm surprised they managed to pull off reliable turnaround standards despite the pandemic at least.

Hope the final bit of processing goes smoothly for you guys! You're almost there!!

Reactions: Jude59

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
Oh thanks so much for laying it all out in details! I'm definitely not as anxious right now :)

It seems like the whole process was smooth, even though the unnecessary shipping labels did brought some delays.. Hoping our process goes just as smooth! Thanks so much again, congratulations on getting the final decisions and wishing you and your husband all the best back in Canada! :)

Reactions: StellaArtois

TT6

Jul 7, 2020
Oh thanks so much for laying it all out in details! I'm definitely not as anxious right now :)

It seems like the whole process was smooth, even though the unnecessary shipping labels did brought some delays.. Hoping our process goes just as smooth! Thanks so much again, congratulations on getting the final decisions and wishing you and your husband all the best back in Canada! :)
Hey there, what was your timeline like after you sent the passport to NY? My hubby also sent his to NY, the VFS office forwarded it to the IRCC office on Dec 24th and we received the VFS tracking update that IRCC received it and it is under process on Dec 29th. I'm wondering how long they will take to send it back with all the holidays...Thank you!

Chimpz93

Nov 19, 2019
Hey! Don’t worry, both the IRCC office and VFC are having extended holidays this week - from what I know - the 29th and today.

we actually just received my husband’s passport by courier yesterday night!! When the documents and the passport was forwarded to the IRCC office, it took them about 2 to 3 business days to finalize the decision (we saw an update in IRCC account) and stamp the passport. They send it out to the VFC office, and then it took them two more business days to prepare the package to be sent to us.

All in all, the process is definitely taking its time, but don’t worry, you’ll get the passport and COPR soon!

One more thing, VFC’s tracking updates are out of tune so don’t worry when you receive an occasional automated email from them stating that they need more documents or something out of ordinary. We actually received an email like that, called in and apparently it was just a bug!
I hope everything goes smooth for you guys!! All the best!

TT6

Jul 7, 2020
Hey! Don’t worry, both the IRCC office and VFC are having extended holidays this week - from what I know - the 29th and today.

we actually just received my husband’s passport by courier yesterday night!! When the documents and the passport was forwarded to the IRCC office, it took them about 2 to 3 business days to finalize the decision (we saw an update in IRCC account) and stamp the passport. They send it out to the VFC office, and then it took them two more business days to prepare the package to be sent to us.

All in all, the process is definitely taking its time, but don’t worry, you’ll get the passport and COPR soon!

One more thing, VFC’s tracking updates are out of tune so don’t worry when you receive an occasional automated email from them stating that they need more documents or something out of ordinary. We actually received an email like that, called in and apparently it was just a bug!
I hope everything goes smooth for you guys!! All the best!
Thanks so much for the update! Did you get COPR in the package with the visa? Or does it come as a separate letter in the mail? Or in the IRCC account? Thank you!! Hopefully we get ours back next week...fingers crossed! All the best for you as well :)

Nidz88

Jul 7, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my U.S. citizen husband to Canada by family class sponsorship. I am currently living in Canada, and he is living in the US. We just got PPR yesterday from the New York VO, and we had some confusion while reading through all the instructions. Hoping that someone(s) who has been through sending PPR to NYVO can help us out!

Here is my understanding of what needs to be gathered based solely on the PPR letter:
-two Canada sized passport pictures enclosed in separate envelopes, with PA's full name, date of birth, application number, name + address of the photography studio, and date the photo was taken written on the back
-a printed copy of the Passport Request letter with Appendix A completed by by the PA
-a photocopy of the picture page of the PA's passport

Here is my understanding of how the above things need to be sent:
-using courier registered mail, the above items should be sent plus a pre-paid return envelope to the New York Visa Application Centre at
Visa Application Centre – New York
145 West 45th Street, 4th floor
New York NY 10036
U.S.A.

Here is where we have some questions...
-Given that I, the sponsor, as a Canadian Citizen am not in need of a Confirmation of Permanent Residence, In "Appendix A - Updated Information Chart" of the PPR, would the PA only have to fill out the row for "Principal Applicant", or should he also fill out (on my behalf) the row for "Spouse"?
-Is letter sized envelopes for the package acceptable? Or should they be legal sized?

Additionally, in the PPR letter, there is a section about how to submit the package to the New York Visa Application Center and it directs me to this very confusing website: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/how_to_apply.html#temporary_documents
I have many questions arising because of information from this website that is not at all mentioned in the PPR...

-the website both states that the New York office will NOT accept FedEx, and also states to use FedEx.labels specifically requested through them. Is it truly necessary to contact vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com to obtain these "mandatory two-way courier vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com & receive the mail-in application FedEx labels"? Or can we use any courier service as long as we include a pre-paid return envelope?

-the website also states that the PA needs to include in the package 2 completed copies of the "TT Services Consent Form" from https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/pdf/Consent-Form-TTS-English-L.pdf but I do not see any metion of this in the PPR. Again, are these TT Services Consent forms truly necessary or can we skip these consent forms??

-finally, the website has a list of additional fees on this page https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/Service_and_Service_Charge.html and apparently we are supposed to include a money order to cover the fees. However, I do not see any mention of additional fees in the PPR.. Do we actually need to pay these fees? And if we do have to pay these fees, exactly which ones are applicable to us? Would they be Package transmission ($20.40 USD), Printing ($0.50 USD per page), and Two-Way Courier Service ($67.10 USD per package)?

Thank you again for your help! If this is not the correct forum to post to, please let me know and I'll try elsewhere!
Hi!

I am finally getting in the process to submit my passport at NY VFS. I hope you can respond to this. I see you had mentioned about the requirements above about the passport photos, etc. I do know that you have to email VFSglobal in order to get the two way courier services. Did you end up paying for the Package transmission fees?
When you did email them for the courier services what info did you put in the email?
Thank you in Advance for this thread and answers.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Hi!

I am finally getting in the process to submit my passport at NY VFS. I hope you can respond to this. I see you had mentioned about the requirements above about the passport photos, etc. I do know that you have to email VFSglobal in order to get the two way courier services. Did you end up paying for the Package transmission fees?
When you did email them for the courier services what info did you put in the email?
Thank you in Advance for this thread and answers.
Hey congrats on getting this far first of all!! You're almost there!!
I am definitely going to reply to you in detail, I just have a lot going on right now but hopefully this weekend I can get back to you to answer in full.
Short answers:
-yes paid for package transmission fees
-from what I can recall I put in all the same information as they asked in their spreadsheet I think. I will look in my email to find the original and confirm with you when I get the chance hopefully this weekend

Take care!

Nidz88

Jul 7, 2020
Hey congrats on getting this far first of all!! You're almost there!!
I am definitely going to reply to you in detail, I just have a lot going on right now but hopefully this weekend I can get back to you to answer in full.
Short answers:
-yes paid for package transmission fees
-from what I can recall I put in all the same information as they asked in their spreadsheet I think. I will look in my email to find the original and confirm with you when I get the chance hopefully this weekend

Take care!
Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond to this. Really appreciate it.

Thank you

kentl

Jul 8, 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond to this. Really appreciate it.

Thank you
Just finished this process last week and found it to be surprisingly complicated until I actually got started. Maybe because after an 18 month process, the stakes seem so much higher!

In my case, I am the applicant (US citizen) for family sponsorship. I think someone already answered, but I only had to send my own information since my spouse is the sponsor.

Once I finished wading through all the websites and links and on and on, I finally decided to use two-way courier service. I didn't have to do any math on the fees (I think some of those are for in-person services). I sent the following email, along with the Excel sheet, to vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com

I am emailing to request shipping labels for two-way courier service. My documentation will include a copy of my passport photo page and two passport photos to apply for a permanent residence travel document.

I would like to send the document package to:
Canada Visa Application Centre - New York
145 WEST 45th Street, 4th floor
New York, NY 10036

My return address is included in the attached excel file.

Honestly, from this point the process was very smooth. They responded quickly and make all the next steps very clear. Basically, after I paid and followed all their directions, I ended up with two FedEx tracking numbers (one from Home to NYC and then another from NYC back to my home). I had my packet back (needed to be home to sign for it) in about 2 weeks from dropping off at FedEx. I got email updates from FedEx and the Visa Centre all along the way.

No warranty and your mileage may vary. Good luck!

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020

Thank you
Okay here is in detail what we did after we got the PPR from IRCC. Note that in my case example, there are no dependents and only the principal applicant is entering Canada via Family Class Sponsorship.

The e-mail that I sent in to vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com had their required excel spreadsheet (from https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/pdf/mail-in-application-courier-label-request.xlsx) filled out ONLY with the principal applicant's information (only 1 line) and I wrote the following in the e-mail I sent in:
-----
To Whom It May Concern:

We have received a Passport Request letter from the IRCC. We plan on mailing the required documents to the New York Visa Office with a pre-paid return envelope.

As per the requirements on your website, we are writing to request Mail In Application Courier Labels. Here is our information:

Name: Principal Applicant's FULL Name
Application Type: Submitting Copy of Passport for Permanent Residence by Family Class Sponsorship (approved)
Visa Office: New York
Number of Applicants: 1
Number of Packages: 1
Return Address:
FULL ADDRESS

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
-----
After sending in that e-mail, within 72 business hours they sent a link to pay for the fees to the e-mail in the spreadsheet (if you use a different e-mail be wary of that because the VFS customer service representatives had no idea that was their procedure). The fees they will charge you are:
Package transmission ($20.40 USD)
Two-Way Courier Service ($67.10 USD)

You must use the link they send you in order to make the payment. There is no other way to pay.
Once you have paid the fees, save the receipt/proof that your payment went through.
Then, you need to e-mail vfsshippinglabels@vfsglobal.com again. Attach the receipt/proof of your payment, and for clarity include your case information. This is what I wrote in the second e-mail:
-----
To Whom It May Concern:

Payment has been made. The receipt is attached.

Applicant information is as follows:
Name: Principal Applicant's FULL Name
Return Address:
FULL ADDRESS
Application Type: Submitting Copy of Passport for Permanent Residence by Family Class Sponsorship (approved)
Visa Office: New York
Number of Applicants: 1
Number of Packages: 1

Please send the shipping labels back to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
-----

They should reply to your second e-mail within 72 business hours. Their reply will have the shipping labels that you need to print and use in order to send your package to them. Your package can be a letter sized envelope (doesn't have to be legal sized) and needs the following items:

-2 Copies of the TTS Consent Form (both filled out and signed) from https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa/pdf/consent-form.pdf
-Return label (i.e., the shipping label that will be from VFS to your address) plus envelope
-Printed invoice/proof that you paid for the VFS extra fees
-Printed IRCC Passport Submission Letter with Appendix A filled out with the principal applicant's information
-Two Canada sized passport pictures enclosed in separate envelopes, with the principal applicant's full name, date of birth, application number (the F000 one), name + address of the photography studio, and date the photo was taken written on the back
-Passport - please note that if you hold a passport from a Visa-exempt country (e.g., the U.S.), you should NOT send in your original passport!! you send in a photocopy of the picture page of your passport. IGNORE that VFS tells you to send in your original passport - the VFS customer service agents only know the general procedure and don't know anything about exceptions.

You MUST send your package through FedEx. VFS's website contradicts itself multiple times, but the actual truth is they do NOT allow the use of any other courier service.

Once you've given your package to FedEx, it's smooth sailing there on out. You'll get e-mail updates from FedEx when your package arrives at VFS, then e-mail updates when your package has been passed along to the IRCC and passed back and approved, then another e-mail update from FedEx when the package is on its way back to you. The package will have the Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and if you are not from a visa-exempt country, it will also have your original passport and your visa to enter Canada.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions about the process!

Last edited: