+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusing company structure for employment letter

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've just been informed by my old colleague that when I started working for my old company it was actually under a different name for the first 2 months.

I joined a company called "X" in Feb 2012 who are still in existence today however when I worked for them they were under the same group/umbrella as a few companies. They left the group in April 2012 and my manager who also worked for X started a new company called "Y" in April/May 2012 who were a part of the same umbrella. There was no gap in employment as it happened over a weekend. I actually think it took some time for Y to be officially incorporated but our payroll was unaffected as the accountant for the entire group dealt with it. You could say this is similar to a transfer of undertakings (TUPE Act in the UK).

When I completed my EE profile before getting an invite I actually forgot about this early company situation and wrote down "Y" to cover the full period of my employment.

What do people think? Can I even make a change to my work history post-ITA to factor this in if needed? Will CIC look into the date of incorporation of "Y" / is that relevant as company incorporation date doesn't always reflect the date of trading commencing as you can employ people under many vehicles of "company" type.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t440057.0.html

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks! Just read that thread and it sounds like I can put it under company Y but state on the letter what was the deal with company X.

The slight difference to those scenarios in your thread is that company Z had the umbrella over both but at separate times, company X still exists today but broke away from under it and company Y formed around the time company X departed.

So it's kind of like this:

/ Z \
/ \
/ X =>Y \ (did not exist under the umbrella at the same time)
(X)----------> (still around)

Think I'll also attach a letter of explanation but it's hard when it was just a team that got transferred out and not the full staff.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what i would do is , put the exact date when the change took place and explain that in LOE , shouldn't be a problem , if everything is clear to VO.

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok thanks a lot for your help! +1!

So there's no need to break this up in my profile? I'm worried to edit and mess around with it as it was what I got the ITA based on.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jamesls1 said:
ok thanks a lot for your help! +1!

So there's no need to break this up in my profile? I'm worried to edit and mess around with it as it was what I got the ITA based on.
its good either way just make sure you give a good explanation in LOE