+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confused newbie

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
hey guys, i'm just getting started on the rigorous challenge of bringing my beautiful wife to Canada. already off to a rocky start and slightly confused about a couple things. here's my situation:
born in Canada, moved to China in my late 20's to teach ESL for a couple years. met my wonderful (now) wife, a Chinese citizen 2.5 years ago. I moved back to Canada this past August with the plan of her coming over in the future to start a life. in august she applied for a travel visa to Canada and was denied. we concluded the next step was for us to just get married and apply for a PR card. I went back to China in November and we got married (yay!), now I am currently home in Canada and she is in China and we are ready to apply with the hope and expectation of coming over in about 12 months.

so now comes the confusion... am I applying for spousal sponsorship or a Permanent Residence card? or are they just connected and I need to sponsor her in order to get the PR card? if our sponsorship is approved will we need the PR anyways?

I've been reading up on the government website and things are still a little unclear to me, and I just want to make sure everything is done properly and without error so I can bring my wife over and we can be together.
and one of my other questions is do I have to fill out a Use of Representative form 5476 on behalf of my wife, or is that just for if I was hiring a lawyer or someone else to do it on our behalf? should I just fill it in anyways with my information?

anyways, hope this wasn't too long and it all makes sense. im very new to the world of forums...Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone

Grant

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
Filing a spousal sponsorship if approved she will get a PR card...Use of representative if you are hiring a lawyer or even you..but if you know her login details on her email and gc key you dont need to have a representative

Reactions: gtd1986

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
I filled out the use of representative form when applying for my wife. It was handy to have access when inquiring on her behalf

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
but you can still inquire on her behalf if you know every details on the form ...such as file number, email address etc

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hey guys, i'm just getting started on the rigorous challenge of bringing my beautiful wife to Canada. already off to a rocky start and slightly confused about a couple things. here's my situation:
born in Canada, moved to China in my late 20's to teach ESL for a couple years. met my wonderful (now) wife, a Chinese citizen 2.5 years ago. I moved back to Canada this past August with the plan of her coming over in the future to start a life. in august she applied for a travel visa to Canada and was denied. we concluded the next step was for us to just get married and apply for a PR card. I went back to China in November and we got married (yay!), now I am currently home in Canada and she is in China and we are ready to apply with the hope and expectation of coming over in about 12 months.

so now comes the confusion... am I applying for spousal sponsorship or a Permanent Residence card? or are they just connected and I need to sponsor her in order to get the PR card? if our sponsorship is approved will we need the PR anyways?

I've been reading up on the government website and things are still a little unclear to me, and I just want to make sure everything is done properly and without error so I can bring my wife over and we can be together.
and one of my other questions is do I have to fill out a Use of Representative form 5476 on behalf of my wife, or is that just for if I was hiring a lawyer or someone else to do it on our behalf? should I just fill it in anyways with my information?

anyways, hope this wasn't too long and it all makes sense. im very new to the world of forums...Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone

Grant
Applying for spousal sponsorship IS applying for PR.

Start here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html. Follow the guide and checklist. You don't need IMM5476.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Cool, thanks for the speedy reply everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go through this process. Also, is it true that my wife's parents in China will have to go through a security check as well?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Cool, thanks for the speedy reply everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go through this process. Also, is it true that my wife's parents in China will have to go through a security check as well?
No.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada

Grant
Congratulations !
Your English is better than mine o_O

You are not required to hire or act as a representative for your wife but I would suggest you consider
filling out form IMM5476 since you reside in Canada.

I think with such an important undertaking you would want to ensure all the email messages from IRCC
are received in a timely manner and not lost/disappear. Things can happen with important messages
that could delay your sponsorship application.

Make sure you read the guide carefully.
Good luck for the New Year

Last edited:

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
I'm quite bad at getting started this type of thing, but today I realize I can no longer procrastinate and I gotta get s#!t done! So, I've gone ahead and filled out form 5476 (use of representative) because that doesn't seem to hurt. However, it occurred to me just now that I'm sending her documents to sign and she's scanning it back to me signed. Is this acceptable? She's in China so we're not quite able to send documents unless it's done electronically, but is this practice standard and will immigration recognize this as being valid? or do I literally have to use DHL or something and send her all that needs to be signed at the same time or vice versa?
Another thing, she sent back the now signed form 5476 with 2 different copies: one with her name written in Chinese characters, and another just printed in capital letters. What would immigration want as her signature? I assume her name in Chinese characters would be the way to go. Signatures in china seem to have a different meaning as on a few different occasions a bank or somewhere would have me print my name in the signature box rather than actually sign it.
Also, it appears I will be submitting all documents to the visa offices by mail as I don't see an online route...or am I just missing something?
anyways, as always thanks for the feedback and Happy New Year to all!

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
I'm quite bad at getting started this type of thing, but today I realize I can no longer procrastinate and I gotta get s#!t done! So, I've gone ahead and filled out form 5476 (use of representative) because that doesn't seem to hurt. However, it occurred to me just now that I'm sending her documents to sign and she's scanning it back to me signed. Is this acceptable? She's in China so we're not quite able to send documents unless it's done electronically, but is this practice standard and will immigration recognize this as being valid? or do I literally have to use DHL or something and send her all that needs to be signed at the same time or vice versa?
Another thing, she sent back the now signed form 5476 with 2 different copies: one with her name written in Chinese characters, and another just printed in capital letters. What would immigration want as her signature? I assume her name in Chinese characters would be the way to go. Signatures in china seem to have a different meaning as on a few different occasions a bank or somewhere would have me print my name in the signature box rather than actually sign it.
Also, it appears I will be submitting all documents to the visa offices by mail as I don't see an online route...or am I just missing something?

I'm not certain the rules but I had my wife sign the documents and we had to use DHL. I didn't want to give them a reason to return my application

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Good questions,
Seems like you haven't read the guide carefully?
Take some time and study it along with the complete guide or you can pay
lots of money to a reputable lawyer/consultant to do it for you.

I would mail the application in with original signed documents and then no questions about that.
You can email her the form and she can print it out, read it, sign in English and Chinese character both in the same signature box.
Then she can go to the local Fedex office ( don't use DHL from China ! ) and send to you the forms express with a tracking number.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Good questions,
Seems like you haven't read the guide carefully?
Take some time and study it along with the complete guide or you can pay
lots of money to a reputable lawyer/consultant to do it for you.

I would mail the application in with original signed documents and then no questions about that.
You can email her the form and she can print it out, read it, sign in English and Chinese character both in the same signature box.
Then she can go to the local Fedex office ( don't use DHL from China ! ) and send to you the forms express with a tracking number.

thanks mountain man! I've read the guide carefully but I do struggle looking at this kind of stuff and sometimes cant comprehend it as well as I'd like. I'd love to just have a lawyer go through it all with me but I don't have that kind of money, so internet help it is! good call on just having her fedex the documents to me and not give them any reasons to deny us.

another quick question for anyone listening... the Additional Family Member form IMM 5406, section C the applicant (my wife) is supposed to fill in info regarding any siblings. she did have an older sister but she tragically died at the age of 11, before my wife was even born. question is whether or not I should declare it. guess it wouldn't hurt. thoughts?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks mountain man! I've read the guide carefully but I do struggle looking at this kind of stuff and sometimes cant comprehend it as well as I'd like. I'd love to just have a lawyer go through it all with me but I don't have that kind of money, so internet help it is! good call on just having her fedex the documents to me and not give them any reasons to deny us.

another quick question for anyone listening... the Additional Family Member form IMM 5406, section C the applicant (my wife) is supposed to fill in info regarding any siblings. she did have an older sister but she tragically died at the age of 11, before my wife was even born. question is whether or not I should declare it. guess it wouldn't hurt. thoughts?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
You should read the guide more carefully, particularly the actual section on signatures where it states: "IRCC will normally accept forms with photocopies of signatures. However, you may be asked to provide the original copy of your forms with an original signature if an IRCC officer determines it is necessary."

Yes, she needs to list her deceased sister.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It's not designed to be easy, so keep going over it until you are confident.
Any friends/family willing to help you with your questions?

Regarding IMM5406 Check with your wife's family Hukou to verify if the older sister was listed.
Make it clear and don't guess on anything. There are a lot of scammers out there.
Be prepared for the possibility of your wife being called in for an interview in Hong Kong.

Take your time .....Have a beer and best wishes for the New Year!
If you are lucky she will be here before next Christmas.:eek: