+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused for tax return from foreign income

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Dear experts,
Greetings !

I have a question regarding filing the income tax on the money earned outside Canada ( while having a permanent resident status ); let me elaborate a bit..

If someone has become a PR of Canada and then he leaves the country after getting the PR Card; then for example he doesn't visit Canada for an entire year, but returns back in the next year permanently, so will he/she has to declare his income earned outside Canada for the year he wasn't present in Canada or not ?

CASE 1:
I heard that one can show his status as a non-resident of Canada for that particular year and doesn't have to pay taxes on the income he earned outside Canada for that particular year. But if one does so, then will he sustain the status of a Permanent Resident ?

CASE 2:
Secondly, if someone doesn't declare himself as a non-resident for that particular year and declares his income earned in a foreign country, then how much tax does he has to pay for that year ? ( For e.g. if he earned 32,000 CAD / annum ) then how much tax will he/she has to pay ?

Please suggest that what is the best way to declare the tax in this situation ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you qualify as a non-resident for tax purposes? Do you have family that stayed in Canada, property in Canada, bank account, etc.? If you qualify as a nom-resident for tax purposes no you don't have to file taxes that year.

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Do you qualify as a non-resident for tax purposes? Do you have family that stayed in Canada, property in Canada, bank account, etc.? If you qualify as a nom-resident for tax purposes no you don't have to file taxes that year.
If non-resident means , physically not present in that following year in Canada, then YES, QUALIFIED.

NO Family,
NO Property,
A BANK ACCOUNT , YES !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If non-resident means , physically not present in that following year in Canada, then YES, QUALIFIED.

NO Family,
NO Property,
A BANK ACCOUNT , YES !
Please google to make sure you fit the definition but otherwise you don't need to file taxes for the years you were not in Canada.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Please google to make sure you fit the definition but otherwise you don't need to file taxes for the years you were not in Canada.
Very deep topic. Please do no simplify things.

I think almost all below is not relevant to Canadian PR. I would say that Canadian PR is always Canadian resident from taxation point of view. Dual citizen with country Canada has treaty with is a bit different, but still CRA will try to get you, claiming that you are still owe taxes to Canada even if you do not live there and do not have Canadian income, but have residential ties in Canada - like family for example.

Determining an Individual’s Residence Status
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

If you leave Canada and keep residential ties in Canada, you are usually considered a factual resident, and not an emigrant. However, if you are also considered to be a resident of another country with which Canada has a tax treaty, you may be considered a deemed non-resident. Deemed non-residents are subject to the same rules as emigrants.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/leaving-canada-emigrants.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Very deep topic. Please do no simplify things.

I think almost all below is not relevant to Canadian PR. I would say that Canadian PR is always Canadian resident from taxation point of view. Dual citizen with country Canada has treaty with is a bit different, but still CRA will try to get you, claiming that you are still owe taxes to Canada even if you do not live there and do not have Canadian income, but have residential ties in Canada - like family for example.

Determining an Individual’s Residence Status
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

If you leave Canada and keep residential ties in Canada, you are usually considered a factual resident, and not an emigrant. However, if you are also considered to be a resident of another country with which Canada has a tax treaty, you may be considered a deemed non-resident. Deemed non-residents are subject to the same rules as emigrants.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/leaving-canada-emigrants.html
Did say google to make sure they met the definition plus I looked at previous posts and the person just landed and left:)

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Did say google to make sure they met the definition plus I looked at previous posts and the person just landed and left:)
No offense, my "Please do no simplify things" is not for you, but for other posters who just look at this question as a simple YES/NO.