+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused - Extension of stay as a visitor in Canada

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

Giving the timeline line on CIC to process extension above 90days....I have decide to submit our application now as our first 6months expires 2nd October 2015.

Pls help confirm which to tick on this question below:

* Extension of my Temporary Resident Status
* Initial Temporary Resident Permit OR Extension of my Temporary Resident Permit

Which should I select as this will be my first application to extend my TRV in canada.

I await your valued response.

Regards,
T.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
timmituyi said:
Hello All,

Giving the timeline line on CIC to process extension above 90days....I have decide to submit our application now as our first 6months expires 2nd October 2015.

Pls help confirm which to tick on this question below:

* Extension of my Temporary Resident Status
* Initial Temporary Resident Permit OR Extension of my Temporary Resident Permit

Which should I select as this will be my first application to extend my TRV in canada.

I await your valued response.

Regards,
T.
Your visitor status is due to expire on 2nd October, so you must apply for extension after 2nd September. An early application for extension may result a refusal ( many on this forum got refused due to the application made well before time). Otherwise extensions are rarely refused in case of spouse, family, sponsorships or if other pr applications are in process.
You will select " extension of temp resident status"
TRP (temp resident permit) is a permit/visa issued to people who are or were inadmissible to enter into canada due to health, crime or other reasons.
Hope it helps

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Kriv,

I will wait till next month and apply then.

Regards,
T.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Kriv,

Please I plan to visit US for 2-3 weeks in September 2015, do I still have to apply to extend my stay when I return back to Canada. OR I will start counting 6months afresh from the day I arrive back into the country?

Regards,
T.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
timmituyi said:
Hello Kriv,

Please I plan to visit US for 2-3 weeks in September 2015, do I still have to apply to extend my stay when I return back to Canada. OR I will start counting 6months afresh from the day I arrive back into the country?

Regards,
T.
That will depend on the officer you speak to at the border when you re-enter Canada. It's possible they may stamp your passport again and give you another six months. It's also possible they may readmit you to Canada based on your previous entry in which case you will have to apply for an extension.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Scylla.

In that case, can I request for visitor's record from the CSBA officer while returning so as to avoid applying online when I enter Canada.

Regards,
T

scylla said:
That will depend on the officer you speak to at the border when you re-enter Canada. It's possible they may stamp your passport again and give you another six months. It's also possible they may readmit you to Canada based on your previous entry in which case you will have to apply for an extension.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have just received my open work permit.

Applied April 28th with upfront medical
Application Approved August 13th
Inland Applicant.

My question is....Am I still on a visitor's status OR I am now on a work permit (Temporary Residence) status which is valid till next year.

Asking because I want to apply for study permit and resume school January since I am now on work permit status.

Can I request for visitor's record from the CSBA officer while returning from US so as to avoid applying online when I enter Canada.

Thank you

Man on the Moon

Feb 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Doc's Request.
04-07-2013
Nomination.....
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2013
LANDED..........
VERY VERY VERY SOON
timmituyi said:
Hello Kriv,

Regards,
T.
I was thinking about the same for my aunt who is staying with us in Canada currently, her 6 months stay expires in November. The issue is if she travels out of Canada say USA n renters she still has a valid stay period in Canada they may possibly not increase it for another 6 months form there.

Oak

Aug 20, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
Med's Request
21-06-2015
Med's Done....
26-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
timmituyi said:
I have just received my open work permit.

Applied April 28th with upfront medical
Application Approved August 13th
Inland Applicant.

My question is....Am I still on a visitor's status OR I am now on a work permit (Temporary Residence) status which is valid till next year.

Asking because I want to apply for study permit and resume school January since I am now on work permit status.

Can I request for visitor's record from the CSBA officer while returning from US so as to avoid applying online when I enter Canada.

Thank you
Hi,

You could probably make clear what your present circumstances are.

1. I am not really sure what you mean by what you are asking. Basically, since you said you have received your Open Work Permit, that means you now have a Work Permit status in Canada. Work permit and Visitor are both Temporary Residence visas.

2. You said you are an Inland Applicant. I assume you are applying for Permanent Residency inland? Is it Family Sponsorship? If you are, you are not recommended to leave Canada before your PR application is finalised. You leave at your own risk and if the border agent allows you back in when you return.