+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused between Software engineer and designer (21231) vs Software developers and programmers(21232) NOC

ravikumar390

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Hi all,

I am bit confused between NOC codes of Software engineer and designer (21231) and Software developers and programmers (21232). I worked for two companies in Canada. In one organization, my title is Senior Software Engineer and in other Web and Software developer. In both companies, my responsibilities are the same as a full stack developer where I worked on both front-end and back-end and sometimes GCP DevOps. My technical skill set includes Java, Spring boot, Angular and React JS.

Now, I am planning to ask for my reference letter for a PR application from both of my organizations. I am not sure of NOC codes to write in both of the reference letters. As of now, I have updated my Express entry profile with NOC 21231. If I apply for NOC 21231 with Senior Software engineer and Web and software developer titles, do I face any problem? Furthermore, both of my roles are mentioned in pay-slips. What NOC code and role should I keep in both of my reference letters?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

pw0032239

Oct 24, 2021
21231 should be fine in my opinion. i would suggest to keep only Senior Software Engineer as your position title since web development comes under 21234. have you got your ITA yet?

Reactions: ravikumar390

mounikap

Mar 6, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I've a request if anyone can give me a sample for roles and responsibilities they have submitted as part of ircc express entry for experience in devops engineer position. I'm bit confused on what all to include to match the NOC.

It would be of great help

Thanks

Alrofai

Jul 16, 2022
Hi Guys,

I am in a similar situation right now. I have worked for seven years as a full-stack developer and DevOps engineer. My skill set is .NET, react, Angular, and Azure DevOps. However, my bachelor's degree is in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (which does not align with the requirements 21231). I am in the last semester of Masters of Software Engineering in Canada and have been working with a local company in the same field since I came here (1 year+).

In my province, we can apply for a PNP if we have a job and graduate soon. Yet, I am unsure which NOC I should select and the job responsibilities (so that I don't mix web development and software engineer/developer). The following are my concerns:

1- Meeting NOC requirements: does having a Master's in Software engineering make me eligible for 21231, or shall I go for 21232?
NOC 21231 requirement:
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering, or mathematics, or completion of a college program in computer science is generally required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
NOC 21232 requirement:
  • A bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering or another discipline with a significant programming component or completion of a college program in computer science or related field is usually required.
  • Progression to software engineering is possible with experience.
2- Also, regarding the job description, especially if I go for 21232, there is a lot of overlap between all of those fields. Can you please share the job description you guys used ? my email, if needed, is : jehad.alrofai@gmail.com

Any help is appreciated :)