+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused between Edmonton/Toronto for landing & settlement in Canada

ishan3108

Jan 21, 2015
Hi all

I am just about to submit the PR application (received ITA 2 months ago) in a day or two; I have gathered/uploaded all the relevant documents for the same. I am a bit confused about the city to land and stay; maybe its too early to think about it but I always prefer to take planned actions.

Details:
My wife is the primary applicant and I am additional applicant in the PR application. Both of us will be travelling after permanent residency is approved, fingers crossed. We opted for FSW program and have no Canadian degree, Canadian experience or Province Nomination.

My uncle and family stay in Edmonton and suggested to land and stay with them, of course they would love to help. On the other side, Toronto is another option because of the availability of more jobs (as per the online portals) as compared to Edmonton; specially in Software development field, to which me and my wife belong to.

Now I am confused which city to choose- Edmonton OR Toronto. I want to research & plan beforehand about the course/universities/college that I would take up after reaching there. I would avoid wasting many months in Canada since every information is available online except Canadian Degree and Canadian Work Experience. Perhaps we can make a plan to achieve it outside Canada before immigration.
So I think I would do some bridging courses along with part time odd job for initial sustainability.

Question:
Should I choose a city based on the presence of my uncle & family or just on availability of job? Considering the fact that I want to do some short courses and my wife would search for job immediately.
Please help as per your experience and knowledge.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Ishan

PS: I have a limited supply of $$$ and that's just a little more than what CIC demands.

Last edited:

cassey

Nov 16, 2017
I would suggest u go to Edmonton first, then at least that way you know accommodation is covered. You then look for a job whilst you are there and if something comes up within or outside Edmonton, you take it. You are going to need all the help you can get when you arrive there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I might also suggest looking at the Kitchener Waterloo area if you are both in IT. It is much more affordable than Toronto. I would agree that I would land in Edmonton and look for jobs from there. You can always relocate to another city from there. You will save thousands a month.

Reactions: cassey