+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused between Address History and Personal History

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi,
As a CEC Application I have the following 3 histories I need to provide information about
Work History - This one is simple - In the last 10 years where all were you employed and what dates were you not employed etc. So very clear

Address history - In the last 10 years provide information of where you lived. Now this form checks down to the DATE-MONTH-YEAR. There can be no gaps. My question is what about when I was doing Domestic/ foreign work related travel. What about when I was on vacation and visiting friends and family. What about tourism domestic and international. Do I need to provide the details of them as well? Many times I stayed in guest houses/ Hotels so do I need to add that information as well.

when I checked in other forums I got replies that this information may be tallied against your travel history so even if you were out of country for 2 weeks staying at a hotel. Mention the checkin checkout dates of the hotel and add it as an entry.

Is this accurate?

The section header says

Address History - Provide all of the addresses where XYZ has lived in the past ten years or since XYZ's 18th birthday, whichever is most recent. Do not leave any gaps.

Personal History - Provide the details of XYZ's personal history in the last ten years (or since his/her 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago).
Start with the most recent information. Under 'Activity type', select what XYZ was doing.

Should any of the above two histories need to have details down to the day wise details of my hotel stays and vacations etc?

Please advise?

chowdhary

May 29, 2019
My take on this:
The intention for address history is to get the information where a person normally 'resides'. Travel for business or personal purpose is already captured in the question regarding the travel history.
While we are travelling and staying in any other accommodation this does not mean that our normal 'resident' address has changed.
Generic definition of one's address is more aligned to the address mentioned on one's official documents like Driving License, Passport etc.

For my application:
I had business as well as personal travel history. I provided all the travel dates and destinations.
For address I provided my respective normal 'resident' address for all of those travel duration.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, when I checked with my colleagues who had the same case - they advised - never to have any conflicting information in the application. Just to avoid any back and forth or any further scrutiny, they added all hotel stays and vacations and official tours to sync the address history to the travel history.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Address History is for addresses where you lived. The definition of lived can be squishy, but in general, a weekend trip to a new city doesn't mean you lived there, and so you don't need to give the address of the hotel. However, if you spend 45 days living somewhere else, you do need to give that address.

There's no harm in giving them more addresses if you like, but giving the addresses of hotels where you spent one or two days is a bit overkill. Still, this won't hurt your application so do it if you feel like it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
As a CEC Application I have the following 3 histories I Address History - Provide all of the addresses where XYZ has lived in the past ten years or since XYZ's 18th birthday, whichever is most recent. Do not leave any gaps.
So, yes, this is difficult to interpret. One thing to understand is that it is OK to have overlapping dates, just no gaps. (so for example, when I went away to university, but still held a permanent address at my parents´ home, I included both addresses, even though they overlapped).

Short stays for either tourist or business travel, you can ignore. Longer stays become tricky (say, one month or more). If you couch-surfed at a friends house for a month, you need to include it. Did you ever receive mail there? Include it.

It used to be more difficult. It used to be "since your 18th birthday" regardless of how long ago that was :)

Reactions: OldH1B

pradeep.iima

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Dubai
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-01-2019
T
Hi,
As a CEC Application I have the following 3 histories I need to provide information about
Work History - This one is simple - In the last 10 years where all were you employed and what dates were you not employed etc. So very clear

Address history - In the last 10 years provide information of where you lived. Now this form checks down to the DATE-MONTH-YEAR. There can be no gaps. My question is what about when I was doing Domestic/ foreign work related travel. What about when I was on vacation and visiting friends and family. What about tourism domestic and international. Do I need to provide the details of them as well? Many times I stayed in guest houses/ Hotels so do I need to add that information as well.

when I checked in other forums I got replies that this information may be tallied against your travel history so even if you were out of country for 2 weeks staying at a hotel. Mention the checkin checkout dates of the hotel and add it as an entry.

Is this accurate?

The section header says

Address History - Provide all of the addresses where XYZ has lived in the past ten years or since XYZ's 18th birthday, whichever is most recent. Do not leave any gaps.

Personal History - Provide the details of XYZ's personal history in the last ten years (or since his/her 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago).
Start with the most recent information. Under 'Activity type', select what XYZ was doing.

Should any of the above two histories need to have details down to the day wise details of my hotel stays and vacations etc?

Please advise?
Sounds like my story - In the past ten years, I have traveled extensively and lived in more than 30 hotels for more than a few weeks in total. The relatively longer stay hotels are still ok, but there have been times when I stayed in multiple hotels in a period of one month - should I be including each hotel and each date? It is possible though as I do have all the details. But what is a practical approach to this? I have of course had a permanent place while all this travel, so I am assuming I need to include that as well right?
Now another question is "Address History" doesn't specify if that is work or home address history. So a safer bet is home addresses right?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
T

Sounds like my story - In the past ten years, I have traveled extensively and lived in more than 30 hotels for more than a few weeks in total. The relatively longer stay hotels are still ok, but there have been times when I stayed in multiple hotels in a period of one month - should I be including each hotel and each date? It is possible though as I do have all the details. But what is a practical approach to this? I have of course had a permanent place while all this travel, so I am assuming I need to include that as well right?
Now another question is "Address History" doesn't specify if that is work or home address history. So a safer bet is home addresses right?
1. Address History is where you live, not where you work. It's where you go to sleep (though I suppose you could sleep at work).
2. No, you don't need to include short stays. You may have been travelling for 2 months with 5-10 days at one hotel, but your residence remained your home address.

General rule of thumb - if you have changed the address in your bank account, credit cards, phone bills etc, then you should include that address. If all your correspondence was going to your house while you travelled for work, then you don't need to include the travel addresses. This is a rule of thumb, you have to look at your situation and figure it out.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
T

This is what I did. Let's assume I stayed in City A in Country X from 2010 to 2015. This is where I "Live" with my family.
Now assume I traveled to country Y for 1 month (or less) in 2010
I traveled to country Z for 1 month (or less) in 2011 and so on.....

What I learned from this forum was that overlapping entries are accepted. Gaps are not.
So I made an entry for City A from 2010 to 2015 and then I also made individual entries for all the trips I took (tourism, official, family etc) even if it was for 2-3 days.

That way I gave them all the information - that I "Lived" in City A from 2010 to 2015 and I also my travel history.
This will then easily sync with your travel history. So there won't be any contradiction in your application. Not sure if this is right or wrong. But I asked my other friends and they did the same - they mentioned each and every travel in the "Address history" along with "Travel history"

Hope this helps!

meenujjoy31

Nov 1, 2021
Hi, Can someone explain me the following:

I am working from home Ontario but the employer location is in Nova Scotia. What should I mention in my Work and personal history?

abhijith098

Feb 7, 2024
Hi, don't know whether this thread can be revived but I'll give it a go.
So my situation is similar but not same as the above. My parents were settled in a different country to where I studied so I used to visit them for about 45 days during semester breaks. My parents were permanent residents in the said country so I also had a Permanent residency in that country, which I had recieved before I was 18 and was valid till I was 23. But never stayed at the country for more than 45 days at a time.
Would I have to add the addresses during these visits or would it be enough to add it in the travel history?