+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused again with physical presence days

Hydi

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
Hi,

I had my hearing for convention refugee on March 13, 2015 and I got a verbal positive decision same day. I got a notice of decision in which they wrote that the claim was heard on March 13, 2015 and that they accept the claim and I became a protected person. This notice of decision letter is dated May 5, 2015

My question is which date should i put in the physical presence calculator as the first day of being protected person? March 13 or May 5? I was about to complete my application and mail it but I accidentally came across the date on the notice of decision letter so I'm confused now..Please advise

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
May 5th as thats the official letter date

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
Hi,

I had my hearing for convention refugee on March 13, 2015 and I got a verbal positive decision same day. I got a notice of decision in which they wrote that the claim was heard on March 13, 2015 and that they accept the claim and I became a protected person. This notice of decision letter is dated May 5, 2015

My question is which date should i put in the physical presence calculator as the first day of being protected person? March 13 or May 5? I was about to complete my application and mail it but I accidentally came across the date on the notice of decision letter so I'm confused now..Please advise
From personal experience, you should put March 13 as the first day of being a protected person since you fortunately received a verbal positive decision on your hearing day. If on your hearing day, the board member had congratulated you and declared you a convention refugee or protected person, then starting from that day, that has become your official status in Canada and you are no longer a Refugee Claimant.

Reactions: Hydi

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Verbal decisions are not documented and hence they can not be considered as valid for any documentation purpose. One should go with what has been communicated in formal documents.

Hydi

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
From personal experience, you should put March 13 as the first day of being a protected person since you fortunately received a verbal positive decision on your hearing day. If on your hearing day, the board member had congratulated you and declared you a convention refugee or protected person, then starting from that day, that has become your official status in Canada and you are no longer a Refugee Claimant.
Yes the board member congratulated me and declared me as a protected person. May I ask you if you had the same situation? Thank you

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
Verbal decisions are not documented and hence they can not be considered as valid for any documentation purpose. One should go with what has been communicated in formal documents.
This is what I thought until an IRCC agent told me otherwise and now I have an application in progress.

Hydi

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
This is what I thought until an IRCC agent told me otherwise and now I have an application in progress.
Thank you soooo much..That was very helpful

Once last question, did you include your Notice of Decision paper with your Citizenchip appllication?

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
Yes the board member congratulated me and declared me as a protected person. May I ask you if you had the same situation? Thank you
Yes, I was actually in the same situation while filling out my application a few months ago. I called IRCC and asked if they could tell me what date I became a protected person. The agent searched on her computer and told me a specific date which happened to be my hearing date. I didn’t even tell her any dates. So I went ahead and used my hearing date and I received AOR without problem.

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
Thank you soooo much..That was very helpful

Once last question, did you include your Notice of Decision paper with your Citizenchip appllication?
I didn’t, because it wasn’t listed on the document checklist. You’re welcome!

shayanmubarak1

Mar 2, 2011
Hello Friends,

I am in the same situation as you people were a few years back. Please advise from your personal experience, if I should put date of hearing or date on the Notice of decision. Yes, the judge congratulated me at the end of the hearing about the positive decision.

Any help on this is highly appreciated.