+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about spouse PR/ self apply PR!

PRinfo_bypp

Mar 21, 2015
Hi,
Please share your suggestions:

Background: Post my Canadian study permit I have been working in Toronto for about a year now(on a work permit that expires this June 25th). My fiance who had come to Canada a year before me has similar status and is in a final stage of obtaining his PR(Under FSW) as he has completed his medical & police clearance and now awaiting for PR stamping from CIC.

We are planning to get married by April; now, assuming my fiance gets PR by mid May 2015 and I have a valid work permit only till 25th June should I apply for PR through express entry (under CEC class) or apply for a Spouse PR (which seems faster process). My main objective is to continue working and apply for bridge open work permit before my current work permit expire. Kindly advice.

Regards
Kavita

ajv24

Mar 22, 2015
In-land spousal PR is not faster. It takes close to 24 months. Also, your timeline is very tight. I would recommend going with express entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you get married before he becomes a permanent resident - he has to add you to his application before he becomes a PR.

PRinfo_bypp

Mar 21, 2015
ajv24 said:
In-land spousal PR is not faster. It takes close to 24 months. Also, your timeline is very tight. I would recommend going with express entry.
Thank you! But are you sure it takes so long for spousal PR even now considering we are both in Canada and he already applied for his PR in FSW 8months back and expecting it in next couple of weeks?

Do you think I still have a chance in express entry(with the intention of getting BOWP) if I start the process now, considering my current post graduate work permit is expiring this june 25th and I am yet to register for ILETS/WES? Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Kavita

PRinfo_bypp

Mar 21, 2015
scylla said:
If you get married before he becomes a permanent resident - he has to add you to his application before he becomes a PR.
[/quote

Thank you! Actually he already got an email from CPC Ottawa couple of months back asking him to pay up his RPRF, complete medicals and if he intends to get married in the near future to which he responded by paying up, giving medicals and answering NO (regarding marriage); only now we are planning to get married which was earlier expected by end of this year, since we recently realized that my express entry application requires more time than what I have (considering my post graduate work permit is expiring this june 25th and I ideally want to continue working here).

So is it ok if he writes to CPC now stating that due to new developments he may get married next month and then produce our marriage certificate along with all my forms filled, documents by May end? I hope it will not jeopardize both our candidatures and I can apply for BOWP by this june 1st?

Regards,
Kavita

ajv24

Mar 22, 2015
PRinfo_bypp said:
Thank you! But are you sure it takes so long for spousal PR even now considering we are both in Canada and he already applied for his PR in FSW 8months back and expecting it in next couple of weeks?

Do you think I still have a chance in express entry(with the intention of getting BOWP) if I start the process now, considering my current post graduate work permit is expiring this june 25th and I am yet to register for ILETS/WES? Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Kavita

Yes, it takes longer. My wife is a Canadian citizen. Even then, it will take me two years to get PR if I go that route.

For express entry, do you know what your score is? Is it is greater than 481, you will be selected in next draw. If you start collecting documents now, it will take you approx one month to get them all and apply. Then based on your application, you can request for bridging work permit.

Even if you get married in April, you can only request for a marriage licence after six weeks. That is all the time you have,