+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about "Proof of Relationship"

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello,

I am being asked to include "Proof of Relationship" in my Express Entry (CEC) for Permanent Residency.

I am not too clear on what it means though. The definition given is;

You must provide proof of your relationship with your host or family member. This can include:

a marriage certificate
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409)
a birth certificate
an official document naming you as a parent
a copy of the inside back cover of the inviter's passport showing the inviter's parents, if applicable

At first I thought it wanted my aunt's proof of status as I had mentioned earlier on that I had a relative who is a Canadian citizen in Ontario. I talked with my friend and he seemed to think this section wants my own birth certificate. I don't have a spouse or any dependents either.

Does anyone know what this section is looking for exactly in my case?

Thank you in advance!

DRWOU

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
fitter_happier said:
Hello,

I am being asked to include "Proof of Relationship" in my Express Entry (CEC) for Permanent Residency.

You must provide proof of your relationship with your host or family member. This can include:

a marriage certificate
a birth certificate
a copy of the inside back cover of the inviter's passport showing the inviter's parents, if applicable

At first I thought it wanted my aunt's proof of status as I had mentioned earlier on that I had a relative who is a Canadian citizen in Ontario. I talked with my friend and he seemed to think this section wants my own birth certificate. I don't have a spouse or any dependents either.

Thank you in advance!
some proof to validate your claim about your family member. i'll suggest you scan a copy of your relatives passport (that should be easily attainable.

all the best

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You need to prove your relationship with your aunt. The easiest way to do this is to send a copy of her passport's bio page, with her parents names on it.

Then, send a copy of your passport, with your father's name, and a copy of his passport, with his parents names. (Assuming your aunt is your father's sister, if you're related through your mom, then send your moms passport).

CIC need to know that your Aunt and your Father/Mother (whichever it is) have the same parents listed on their passports.

That's the simplest way to prove your relationship.

Reactions: Kirat305

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Thank you for the response,

My aunt is my mother's sister.

My Aunt is married so it is her married name on her Canadian passport. Her Parents (my grandparents) don't have their name appear anywhere on her passport bio page.

So if I need to prove that my aunt is my aunt then will I need to provide her birth certificate, my mother's birth certificate, and mine? Mine will show who my mother is. My mother's will show who her parent's are, and so will my aunts. That should suffice right?

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Yes
Birth certificates, showing they both belong to same parents, and then urs
A simple explanation letter showing this family tree ( of only the relatives you are sending proof of, including u at the end of it) will help a lot.
You will also need a copy of your aunts canadian passport, and any proof that she is living in canada, like a rent contract with her name, or a utility bill, anything that shows she's currently living in Canada, this is very important.
All the best
Dont worry its simple they just want to make sure you are related to the person you are claiming 5 points from.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dr feras said:
Yes
Birth certificates, showing they both belong to same parents, and then urs
A simple explanation letter showing this family tree ( of only the relatives you are sending proof of, including u at the end of it) will help a lot.
You will also need a copy of your aunts canadian passport, and any proof that she is living in canada, like a rent contract with her name, or a utility bill, anything that shows she's currently living in Canada, this is very important.
All the best
Dont worry its simple they just want to make sure you are related to the person you are claiming 5 points from.
For EPR, on the information notification sign when uploading documents, CIC mention birth certificate for proof of relationship documents and Canadian passport or citizenship certificate for proof of status documents of the Canadian relative.

Well, that was my experience and CIC did not request proof of residence documents like utility bill. May be they will check it themselves if Canadian passport or citizenship certificate is provided.

Any views?

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hi guys. So I never put that I was married or had kids. I am going to do what was mentioned above (I now have my own birth cert, my mother's and aunts) so going to get that all scanned and into a single document ASAP. There is a section too called "Family Member Proof of Status" which is different but originally I was confused as these two sections seemed the same. For the "Family Member Proof of Status" section I am just providing my aunt's passport bio page.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fitter_happier said:
Hi guys. So I never put that I was married or had kids. I am going to do what was mentioned above (I now have my own birth cert, my mother's and aunts) so going to get that all scanned and into a single document ASAP. There is a section too called "Family Member Proof of Status" which is different but originally I was confused as these two sections seemed the same. For the "Family Member Proof of Status" section I am just providing my aunt's passport bio page.
You can also submit her citizenship certificate if you have it;

Also you can attach a proof of residence if you have it, although I think that is not mandatory and CIC might ask it later on. I did not attach the proof of residence like utility but later on submit through case specific enquiry her medical card as proof of residence in the province, just in case. I did that because I did not attach the medical card when submitting my application as it was not mentioned on the document list on my account as only Canadian passport or PR card or citizenship certificate was required.

If you have not yet submit your EPR, better attach the proof of residence doc upfront.

patricia.g

Dec 13, 2016
Hello, I recently received my PR and used an immigration consultant. I have family in Canada (my aunt, her husband and their two sons), and I provided:

- My birth certificate
- My mom's birth certificate
- My aunt's birth certificate
- My aunt's Canadian passport
- Hydro/services/credit card bills proving my aunt's residence in Canada

Hope that helps

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
patricia.g said:
Hello, I recently received my PR and used an immigration consultant. I have family in Canada (my aunt, her husband and their two sons), and I provided:

- My birth certificate
- My mom's birth certificate
- My aunt's birth certificate
- My aunt's Canadian passport
- Hydro/services/credit card bills proving my aunt's residence in Canada

Hope that helps
Thank you :) It shouldn't matter that my Aunt's Canadian passport expired a few years ago should it? I think I over-think these things sometimes lol but I just don't my application being canceled again. I am going to ask my aunt for some type of bill showing her address. Appreciate you and everybody's help on this :p)

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fitter_happier said:
Thank you :) It shouldn't matter that my Aunt's Canadian passport expired a few years ago should it? I think I over-think these things sometimes lol but I just don't my application being canceled again. I am going to ask my aunt for some type of bill showing her address. Appreciate you and everybody's help on this :p)
Better her Canadian passport valid. If it is expired, then submit her PR card or citizenship certificate instead.

For the proof of residence, submit a recent one, such as utility bill, employment record, etc...

Shehzad82

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
AOR Received.
25-09-2017
Med's Done....
03-Oct-2017
Hi

I am in the process of completing documentation requirements for EE and need clarity on how can I go about proving relationship with my paternal uncle whose details I have mentioned in the application.

My father's birth certificate is missing so as an alternate I wanted to know whether submitting marriage certificates would suffice or not.

Please advise how can I go about proving this relationship.

honeyk3g

Aug 10, 2017
HI Everyone
I got an ITA but facing issue for clamming 15 points for my brother.
- My bother having SURNAME in his passport and I don't have
I can provide birth certificate/ Passport for both in which Parents name is same,
Passport / Birth certificate could work ?

- My brother don't have utility bill or lease contract as he is living with his friends
In absence of utility bill as an alternate Bank statement , mobile bills , Salary slip , Car Insurance documents can be used ?

Thanks in advance

Bikram67

Jul 18, 2018
Hello,

a marriage certificate
a birth certificate

Thank you in advance!
Hi. By now you must be in Canada..
So what all documents you finally attached