+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about NOC skill category - Banking related

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
code 6235

Hi guys,

I worked as a teller at TD for about 2.5 years before accepting a job as a Financial Services Representative. A few months into the role, they started a program that changed my title from FSR to Personal Banking Associate. Now my duties pretty much remained unchanged except for one thing, I wasn't going to be selling mutual funds. I did give my Investment Funds in Canada exam and passed, but never actually received my license but my duties did include all of these (taken from the NOC website):
  • Open new personal and non-personal accounts, and provide access to automated banking machine, telephone banking and online banking services
  • Interview applicants for personal, mortgage, student and business loans
  • Promote the sale of deposit, investment (I was ONLY doing GICs, not mutual funds) credit and loan products and services
  • Assist clients by proposing solutions to address financial objectives such as business expansion, debt management, investment and other financial goals
  • Research and evaluate loan applicant's financial status, references, credit and ability to repay the loan
  • Complete credit and loan documentation
  • Submit credit and loan applications to branch or credit manager with recommendations for approval or rejection; or approve or reject applications within authorized limits ensuring that credit standards of the institution are respected
  • Prepare statements on delinquent accounts and forward irreconcilable accounts for collector action
  • Review and update credit and loan files
  • Act as joint custodian for cash and securities. -- DON'T know what this one truly means..?
BUT, under
Employment requirements
  • Completion of secondary school and extensive general banking experience is usually required.
  • A bachelor's degree or college diploma related to commerce or economics may be required.
  • A mutual funds licence is usually required. - THIS is what worries me, I did give my exam but never got my license :(
  • Registration with the securities regulatory authority in the province or territory of employment is usually required. - Didn't do this either, cuz wasn't selling mutual funds.
  • Completion of a loan or credit training program, ranging from six to twelve months, is usually required.
  • Various training programs and courses are offered by the Institute of Canadian Bankers and may be required by employers.
  • Financial services officers who sell regulated financial products and investments are required to be licensed by the appropriate governing body.
Will this affect things? If yes, how so? I work as a Social Media coordinator now but 6 months of my experience comes from my job as a banking associate.

Last edited:

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
code 6235

Hi guys,

I worked as a teller at TD for about 2.5 years before accepting a job as a Financial Services Representative. A few months into the role, they started a program that changed my title from FSR to Personal Banking Associate. Now my duties pretty much remained unchanged except for one thing, I wasn't going to be selling mutual funds. I did give my Investment Funds in Canada exam and passed, but never actually received my license but my duties did include all of these (taken from the NOC website):
  • Open new personal and non-personal accounts, and provide access to automated banking machine, telephone banking and online banking services
  • Promote the sale of deposit, investment (I was ONLY doing GICs, not mutual funds) credit and loan products and services
  • Assist clients by proposing solutions to address financial objectives such as business expansion, debt management, investment and other financial goals
  • Research and evaluate loan applicant's financial status, references, credit and ability to repay the loan
  • Submit credit and loan applications to branch or credit manager with recommendations for approval or rejection; or approve or reject applications within authorized limits ensuring that credit standards of the institution are respected
  • Prepare statements on delinquent accounts and forward irreconcilable accounts for collector action
  • Act as joint custodian for cash and securities. -- DON'T know what this one truly means..?
BUT, under
Employment requirements
  • Completion of secondary school and extensive general banking experience is usually required.
  • A bachelor's degree or college diploma related to commerce or economics may be required.
  • A mutual funds licence is usually required. - THIS is what worries me, I did give my exam but never got my license :(
  • Registration with the securities regulatory authority in the province or territory of employment is usually required. - Didn't do this either, cuz wasn't selling mutual funds.
  • Completion of a loan or credit training program, ranging from six to twelve months, is usually required.
  • Various training programs and courses are offered by the Institute of Canadian Bankers and may be required by employers.
  • Financial services officers who sell regulated financial products and investments are required to be licensed by the appropriate governing body.
Will this affect things? If yes, how so? I work as a Social Media coordinator now but 6 months of my experience comes from my job as a banking associate.
One more thing that I would like to point out is that Bank Teller falls under 1434 which is in the C category and does not count. You'd better try making CIC think that you are not a teller and choose a proper NOC code and job description.

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
One more thing that I would like to point out is that Bank Teller falls under 1434 which is in the C category and does not count. You'd better try making CIC think that you are not a teller and choose a proper NOC code and job description.
Sorry I can only see one of your replies, but to respond to this one, I'm not planning on mentioning the time as a teller in my one year experience history. It will be the time I worked as an FSR.

Reactions: doge

vittga1

Jun 24, 2016
Sorry I can only see one of your replies, but to respond to this one, I'm not planning on mentioning the time as a teller in my one year experience history. It will be the time I worked as an FSR.
Hey, I’m going through the same situation. Were you able to sort this out? Did you apply for PR already?

aaa_y

Sep 29, 2020
code 6235

Hi guys,

BUT, under
Employment requirements
Hey!! this happens to me too... do you get you PR successfully using PBA position?