+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about common law paperwork, and AOR + police check

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys!
My partner is getting ready to submit her PR application. Her work permit expires in December, so we're in a bit of a crunch to get everything in on time for her to get her open work permit...

She's sitting with an immigration consultant right now, and he's telling her the following things. I want to know if they are true or not.
1. I am a Canadian citizen (born here), and even though we're common-law, we don't need to send in anything about me.

2. The police check is 100% needed before the application can be sent.

here's our deal:

all our paperwork is done (on both of us), and we want to put the application in the mail ASAP (like, tomorrow morning ASAP).
Her police check (was supposed to take 3 days) has now taken two weeks. She called them, and they still have her check at the police office, and they're unable to tell us when we will get it (leading me to assume it could be weeks/months).
We can't delay any further on the AOR.

Here are my questions:
Can you get the/an AOR without the police check? Can we send the check in later?
Do I need to send the forms in on me? I am not a co-applicant, but I understand if they want to make sure I don't have a criminal sister, or that I am some sort of sketchy person. If we decide it's unclear, and I send the forms anyways, does that risk delaying the application?
Does the immigration consultant know what he's talking about when he says I need to send nothing + we need to wait for the police check?

Thanks, guys! If anybody has some fast insight, that would be great!

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Also, she has a class C LMO excemption right now (something about being an artist = you don't need an LMO). I believe it was processed in France. is there any chance she can apply to extend that? Or, is this not an option due to the strike? ... or, is something like this simply not extend-able?

Any input would be awesome! If you have advice on the consultant's advice/know something he said to be untrue, I will contact her, and tell her to come home; we cannot mess around with money/time, and if he's wrong about that, who knows what else he's wrong about?!

Thanks, amazing community!