+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confirmation on residency

kathy2017

Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts. I greatly appreciate it.
My grandpa still has his health card (red and white) in Canada. We may have to wait for 3 months.
I am applying his re-entry visa in China, base on H&C ground.

Meanwhile, I am interested to know how to get an US visa for him. Should I look into visitor visa for him?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My grandpa still has his health card (red and white) in Canada. We may have to wait for 3 months.

Meanwhile, I am interested to know how to get an US visa for him. Should I look into visitor visa for him?

Most likely they have deactivated his health card. They probably assume he is deceased due to age and lack of use for over a decade. They will have also have tried to contact him to update his health card to the new version when they were unable to contact him which could have triggered a hold or cancellation of his card.

R

rish888

@kathy2017 If by re-entry you mean PRTD do not do it. I recommend the land border route.

U.S. visa would be a tourist visa. Apply for this and see if he gets it. (It is an online application followed by an interview at the Embassy. Interview takes a few days to get. At the interview he will know if he has been approved or denied. After approval stamping takes a few days.)

Healthcare is of course an issue but that is independent of the re-entry question.

Basically if you want him in Canada now don't apply for a PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure that a 95 year old who doesn't seem to have family in the US will actually be able to get a visa especially given he doesn't seem to have many assets. Worth a try I guess.

R

rish888

A correction to my previous post.

A 95 year old will not usually need an interview.