+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional PR status

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
Hello,

My wife received her PR card last May 2014 and landed in Canada in July 2014 with me. She is currently on conditional PR status which lasts for two years. After the two year requirement has been satisfied, do she expect to hear from CIC via email/mail/phone that her conditional status has been removed? How does one know that their conditional status has been removed?

TIA

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It just expires and that is it. It gets automatically "removed".

My wife's conditional status expired 2 weeks ago. We heard nothing from CIC and we don't expect to.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mojoyugo said:
Hello,

My wife received her PR card last May 2014 and landed in Canada in July 2014 with me. She is currently on conditional PR status which lasts for two years. After the two year requirement has been satisfied, do she expect to hear from CIC via email/mail/phone that her conditional status has been removed? How does one know that their conditional status has been removed?

TIA
You won't hear anything from CIC unless:

1. there is an investigation based on CIC's suspicions/ intelligence

2. random check by CIC as part of program integrity

3. a party to the relationship has notified CIC of an issue

4. someone other than in 3 has 'notified' CIC of an issue

Why not every relationship is checked is yet another oddity from CIC if the reason it was enacted was to minimize marriage/spousal sponsorship fraud.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Msafiri said:
Why not every relationship is checked is yet another oddity from CIC if the reason it was enacted was to minimize marriage/spousal sponsorship fraud.
I'm going to guess that it is simply due to lack of resources. Also I remember what prompted Condition 51 to be put into place. It was protests from jilted sponsors who were on the financial hook for 3 years. Condition 51 was implemented to give jilted sponsors an option to get out of their responsibilities and get their spouse's PR revoked. So a jilted sponsor can notify CIC. Hence CIC wouldn't need to check up on everyone since they would be informed of it by the sponsor. Of course this does nothing for the frauds where the sponsor is in on it. But Conditional 51 wasn't originally intended to catch those folks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right. Condition 51 is there because of fraud marriages where the sponsored spouse left their sponsor as soon as the PR card came in the mail or in some cases even before that. I even remember a case where the spouse landed without even informing their sponsor and just gave a different address. The sponsor would be on the hook if the spouse went on welfare which they sometimes did and there would be very little they could do in order to fight that.

So unlike the temporary green card in the US, there is no interview or anything like that after two years to lift the condition. As long as the sponsor doesn't complain, nothing happens at the 2 year mark.

However, if you do leave your sponsor before 2 years have passed and even if your sponsor does not complain and CIC doesn't find out and nothing happens, they may still investigate later. For example if they find out at a PR card renewal or citizenship application or even when sponsoring a relative that you did not cohabit with your sponsor for 2 years, they can revoke your PR.

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
I need some advise regarding the conditional PR and emotional abuse.

I have a conditional PR myself and our marriage has broken down due to my husbands emotional abuse. My husband has a drinking problem and has done nothing to recover. Of course that took a tall on our marriage in different levels, from being intimately neglected, to never having dinner with me, never helping me with the baby, embarrassing me in front of my family, calling me names, getting angry at me for not understanding what he says when he is drunk (which i truly don't bcs it doesn't make any sense). Basically we stopped being a couple because my husband chose drinking over me. We have sold our beautiful home (jointly owned) at this point and our marriage cannot be saved.
I have our bank account showing all the transactions at the beer store, lcbo, have a picture of him on the floor eating chips, have some recordings from after we decided that we should move our separate ways, where he is obviously emotionally abusive to me while drunk. Obviously I don't have a ton of proof because this was never my plan.
My husband understands the consequences of his behaviour, but he doesn't want to do anything to change them regardless of what I have tried. He is being cooperative about the whole conditional PR part as this was truly a marriage of good faith from both sides, but unfortunately it didn't work out. He is willing to explain to cic what happened and that his behaviour towards me has not been what is expected from a good partner. Also, he is not physically abusive, but he is verbally abusive and its heart breaking for me to witness all the drunken episodes (I still have feelings for him, but unfortunately I can no longer handle his alcoholism emotionally)
I am contacting a lawyer on monday which is when we are both moving our separate ways (as to notify CIC I have to move out of the shared residence first), however I would like to know what are the odds of me loosing my PR? I have built a life here for the past 7.5 years and most importantly I want my daughter to see her father, regardless of whats happening we plan on keeping everything friendly for her sake. Also if anyone can think any kind of proof that could help my case that would be greatly appreciated.

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
ortom said:
I need some advise regarding the conditional PR and emotional abuse.

I have a conditional PR myself and our marriage has broken down due to my husbands emotional abuse. My husband has a drinking problem and has done nothing to recover. Of course that took a tall on our marriage in different levels, from being intimately neglected, to never having dinner with me, never helping me with the baby, embarrassing me in front of my family, calling me names, getting angry at me for not understanding what he says when he is drunk (which i truly don't bcs it doesn't make any sense). Basically we stopped being a couple because my husband chose drinking over me. We have sold our beautiful home (jointly owned) at this point and our marriage cannot be saved.
I have our bank account showing all the transactions at the beer store, lcbo, have a picture of him on the floor eating chips, have some recordings from after we decided that we should move our separate ways, where he is obviously emotionally abusive to me while drunk. Obviously I don't have a ton of proof because this was never my plan.
My husband understands the consequences of his behaviour, but he doesn't want to do anything to change them regardless of what I have tried. He is being cooperative about the whole conditional PR part as this was truly a marriage of good faith from both sides, but unfortunately it didn't work out. He is willing to explain to cic what happened and that his behaviour towards me has not been what is expected from a good partner. Also, he is not physically abusive, but he is verbally abusive and its heart breaking for me to witness all the drunken episodes (I still have feelings for him, but unfortunately I can no longer handle his alcoholism emotionally)
I am contacting a lawyer on monday which is when we are both moving our separate ways (as to notify CIC I have to move out of the shared residence first), however I would like to know what are the odds of me loosing my PR? I have built a life here for the past 7.5 years and most importantly I want my daughter to see her father, regardless of whats happening we plan on keeping everything friendly for her sake. Also if anyone can think any kind of proof that could help my case that would be greatly appreciated.
I am sorry to hear about what happened to you and I hope everything will be on a better side for you from now on. Please see a link on what is abuse and how you can report it to CIC and request exeption from Conditional PR:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/family-sponsorship.asp

You can call CIC directly and report your husband, please call 1-888-242-2100.

Additional questions, are you sure your PR is conditional? How long has it been since you landed, as you said you've been in Canada for 7.5Y?