Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
My common-law spouse was with me when I landed at the Coutts border crossing.

The officer was really rude. I had a 20 minute interview during which he asked me all possible questions (at least 30) and checked all the important dates and contents of our relationship and my time between my work permit and my PR approval (I stopped working and had a visitor record)

After 20 minutes he finally said: You are now a permanent resident and you can apply for citizenship in 2 years from today (my 2 years on a work permit count as 1 year towards citizenship).

Then he pointed his finger right in my spouse's face (I'm not kidding) and told me:" You have to live with this guy for at least 2 years. If you don't follow this rule your PR status will be revoked and you will get deported." And then he looked at my spouse and told him:" And if this happens you will face criminal charges for immigration fraud."

Wow, I expected this becoming-a-permanent resident-moment as something special but in the end I was just happy to get out of the immigration office. Not very welcoming. Especially when you have nothing to hide