+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional Permanent Resident& Studying Abroad.

madubyk

May 2, 2016
Hey guys,

I was granted conditional spousal sponsored PR this summer. Next year I was hoping to study abroad for 6 months. With conditional residence I know they say you have to be living with your spouse for 2 years. Do they make exceptions for work or students?

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
madubyk said:
Hey guys,

I was granted conditional spousal sponsored PR this summer. Next year I was hoping to study abroad for 6 months. With conditional residence I know they say you have to be living with your spouse for 2 years. Do they make exceptions for work or students?

Thanks
No documentation on Conditional PR lists school or work as exemptions. So technically you would be violating the condition by living apart for 6 months.

However if CIC would even find out about it, let alone decide to pursue action to revoke PR status based on it, is another issue. My guess is there are good odds nothing will happen.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Rob_TO said:
However if CIC would even find out about it, let alone decide to pursue action to revoke PR status based on it, is another issue. My guess is there are good odds nothing will happen.
There are several things that can kick off an investigation, with the easiest being a report from someone (such as your spouse), or you applying for benefits. Neither of those is likely.

One possibility (and that's all it is) is that if you were sent to secondary for some reason upon return, they might notice the conditional permanent residence, and the fact you were away for 6 months. If it kicked off some questions, you could lose your PR status. I would agree that it probably won't happen, but it is technically possible.