+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Conditional Permanent Resident' rule applies to who?

rajeshri

May 16, 2013
Hi everyone!

According to this page (CIC.ca page, not allowed to post link) it applies to those couple who applied for permanent residence on or after 25th October,2012. My application was submitted a year before that and I came in Canada last November. That means it (conditional permanent residence) doesn't apply to me,right?

On the other hand, an immigration lawyer told me that it does apply to me. I said, 'I read it in the website that it only applies to people who applied for the permanent residence on or after 25th October,2012. Then how does it apply to me?' . He said, 'what website? I don't read any website!'.

I think he is giving me wrong information. Can you guys tell me who does the condi. permanent residency apply to? :(

It's bit urgent.

rajeshri

May 16, 2013
This is the report I wanted to give the link about :

What is conditional permanent residence?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) which apply to spouses, common-law or conjugal partners in a relationship of two years or less with their sponsor and who have no children in common with their sponsor at the time they submit their sponsorship application. The sponsored spouse must cohabit in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day on which they receive their permanent resident status in Canada. If they do not remain in the relationship, the sponsored spouse’s status could be revoked. The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose applications are received on or after October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force.

Aside from the need to satisfy the two-year requirement, conditional permanent residence does not differ from normal permanent residence. These sponsored spouses have access to the same rights and benefits as other permanent residents. They will be allowed to work and study without a work or study permit; they will not be subject to different tuition fees in post-secondary schools; and they will have the same access to health coverage and social benefits, including social security (or income support).

If the relationship breaks down, the sponsor remains financially responsible until the end of the three-year undertaking period, irrespective of the cause of the breakdown.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It sounds like your lawyer is an idiot!

If you applied a year before the the condition came into effect (so i guess that would be around Oct 2011 for you), then it does NOT apply to you at all.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Rob_TO said:
It sounds like your lawyer is an idiot!

If you applied a year before the the condition came into effect (so i guess that would be around Oct 2011 for you), then it does NOT apply to you at all.
I concur. I hope everything goes okay with your application.

doljan

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mnl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 24, 2012
Doc's Request.
mar 25, 2013
Med's Done....
apr 24, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
mar 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
apr 8, 2013
LANDED..........
apr 22, 2013
are you planning of leaving your spouse who sponsored you? yes the conditional PR does not apply to you... tell your lawyer to read and understand.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Tell your lawyer he should leave this immigration business as he does not know what implies on whom..

doljan said:
are you planning of leaving your spouse who sponsored you?
Hope.. she doesnt.... ;)

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
If your lawyer doesn't read government websites, put your hand on your wallet and back away slowly.

M

mikeymyke

Why are you so concerned about this rule? as long as your relationship is genuine and real, and you really love your spouse, this shouldn't even be an issue at all

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajeshri said:
Hi everyone!

According to this page (CIC.ca page, not allowed to post link) it applies to those couple who applied for permanent residence on or after 25th October,2012. My application was submitted a year before that and I came in Canada last November. That means it (conditional permanent residence) doesn't apply to me,right?

On the other hand, an immigration lawyer told me that it does apply to me. I said, 'I read it in the website that it only applies to people who applied for the permanent residence on or after 25th October,2012. Then how does it apply to me?' . He said, 'what website? I don't read any website!'.

I think he is giving me wrong information. Can you guys tell me who does the condi. permanent residency apply to? :(

It's bit urgent.
You could do many a favor by stating who this idiot lawyer is so that people can save some hard earned money.

CIC-FCRU

May 18, 2013
rajeshri said:
Hi everyone!

It's bit urgent.
conditional PR applies to applicant who submitted their application after oct 25, 2012. and as what you mentioned, this does not apply to you. but looking at the situation, you are the perfect example why CIC have this conditional PR.