+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Condition on : Work permit Unless authorized, attend any educational Institution

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
Hi,

My wife is planning to take a Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) Program its one year program for starting the job as full time. However, I just notice that my work permit and my wife open WP has this condition on it. So, I am not sure now if she can allowed to take the course or not ? is it to affect our application for a PR.

Confused with the conditions stated on my Open Work Permit that says;

1. Unless authorized, must not attend any educational Institution or take any academic , professional or vocational training course.

Please advise me,

AK

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AK84 said:
Hi,

My wife is planning to take a Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) Program its one year program for starting the job as full time. However, I just notice that my work permit and my wife open WP has this condition on it. So, I am not sure now if she can allowed to take the course or not ? is it to affect our application for a PR.

1. Unless authorized, must not attend any educational Institution or take any academic , professional or vocational training course.

Please advise me,

AK
On your wife's OWP, the conditions stated means your wife is not authorized to "study"; she would need a student permit for that - noting also that the intended course a 1-yr course. She does not need a (student) permit if enrolling in a short-term course or program of six months or less. For her to take the 1-year course - she should change her status from being a "worker" (under an OWP) to a "student" and thus gain authorization to study.

What do you mean by this affecting your PR application?

.../hth

Rocky_bombastic

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Regina-SK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th May '13
Doc's Request.
25th Nov '13
Nomination.....
11th Oct '13
AOR Received.
29th Dec '13 ( ECAS update to Application recieved on 12th Nov '13)
File Transfer...
RPRF request 15-May-2014
Med's Request
30th Dec '13
Med's Done....
07th Jan '14
Interview........
IN PROCESS ---> 2nd June '14. --- Decision made---> 23rd June '14
Passport Req..
July 3rd 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 15th 2014
LANDED..........
18th July 2014---> PR card received Sep 8th 2014
AK84 said:
Hi,

Please advise me,

AK

Yes you are not allowed to study on Work permit. You need to apply for study permit.. But as mentioned by ragluf you dont need a study permit for courses less than 6 months. If will affect on your PR if your wife starts studying without authorization.

Just for info: You cannot reapply for PGWP after studying it can be issued only once.

Oct 13, 2023
On your wife's OWP, the conditions stated means your wife is not authorized to "study"; she would need a student permit for that - noting also that the intended course a 1-yr course. She does not need a (student) permit if enrolling in a short-term course or program of six months or less. For her to take the 1-year course - she should change her status from being a "worker" (under an OWP) to a "student" and thus gain authorization to study.

What do you mean by this affecting your PR application?

.../hth
And under these conditions will we be able to take training courses like First Aid and CPR, Security training, food safety training, smart serve etc.?

Nayanthara

Jan 11, 2024
my PGWP also has the conditiuon

Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institutions, or taking any academic, professional, or vocational training courses.

however I want to do a 6 month health assistant course. Also I applied for my pgwp on the 7th of July 2023.
does this mean I cannot do this program please, clarify