+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concurrent Application for Study Permit and Work Permit

tjtran

Apr 28, 2021
I submitted an application for a study permit in late Feb. However, due to a change in personal circumstances in late March, I applied to withdraw the application (webform submitted 40 days ago) and plan to submit a work permit application instead soon.

However, seems like the withdrawal request is not processed yet because I just received the passport submission request for the study permit. This means I have until May 28 to submit my passport, or my SP application will be refused.

Since I have decided to pursue the work offer in Canada, is it okay for me to submit an application for the Work Permit despite the pending passport submission for the SP, since the withdrawal request has not received a response after 40 days of submission?

Logistically, should I –
1. hold on to the passport and not submit it for stamping until my WP is approved in a month or so? When IRCC eventually comes around to review my request to withdraw my application, will they backdate my request date and regard my failure to submit my passport for SP counterfoil as an act of withdrawal rather than a reason for refusal?
2. submit my passport for SP stamping, and submit it again for WP stamping? That way I make it in time for SP stamping and don't risk a visa refusal.

Can I submit a work permit while still have a pending case for a study permit? Other than supplying a letter of explanation stating my clear intention to work in Canada, is there anything I should say?

Please help since it's pretty urgent. I've tried emailing the NYC consulate and the Ottawa. The Ottawa office seems slow in responding to emails.

Last edited:

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
Hi bro. Your case is complicated. Did you get any response after sending a webform for withdrawal? They usually reply and explain the procedure for withdrawal. Where is your Visa office? This case depends on office since some offices are working with reduced staff, and do not have enough time to process withdrawal requests.