+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concordia&University of Montreal winter 2021 REMOTE news has potential PGWP affect

cooleditphoto

Jun 29, 2020
I began my study from Fall 2019, and I'm expected to graduate in May 2021, so it would be 5 terms in total. And summer 2020, fall 2020, and winter 2021 are remote. So the remote part will be 3/5>50%. However, according to the IRCC website, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html.

"You’re taking a program that is 12 months or longer, or you started a short-term program before May 2020
You can complete up to 50% of your program online (until April 30, 2021). You must complete the other 50% of your program in Canada."

We can only take up to 50% of the program to be eligible for the PGWP. So it's devastating news for me. And I think there are other international students in the same boat too. I hope IRCC can modify their guideline or I will need to extend my study through summer 2021.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I'm in Canada, but I think it only considers the delivery style of the program...? So it's not clear at this time...
You are already in Canada I presume with a valid study permit so it would be a travesty if the online study rule was applied to us. I think the update is mainly directed at students abroad.

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Definitely for students that are out of Canada. If you were already in Canada pre-covid and had valid study permit then you are exempt from these conditions regardless of the mode of the delivery. No need to worry about it. You have to maintain your full time status though. IRCC / CBSA has all your in/out details in Canada and are linked to passport. They can check easily at the time of PGWP where you were most of the time during your study permit duration, which in this case, definitely in Canada..

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I just cross my fingers and hope IRCC to clarify a little bit...

How much of your program you can complete online
How much of your program you can complete online depends on when you started studying and how long your study program is.

1. You’re taking a short-term program that started between May and September 2020
    You can complete 100% of your program online. Your program must be between 8 and 12 months long, and you must have started your studies between May and September 2020.
    If you’re studying in a Quebec vocational program, your program must be between 900 and 1,348 hours.
  2. You’re taking a program that is 12 months or longer, or you started a short-term program before May 2020
    You can complete up to 50% of your program online (until April 30, 2021). You must complete the other 50% of your program in Canada.
  3. You’re completing 2 study programs
    You can complete up to 50% of your total studies online (until April 30, 2021). To be able to do this
    • you must complete both study programs from an eligible DLI within 2 years
    • one of the programs must have started between May and September 2020, and
    • each program must meet all PGWP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months long
  4. You must complete at least 50% of the combined length of the 2 programs in Canada.
    If you’re studying in a Quebec vocational program
    • a diploma (DVS program) must be at least 900 hours long
    • an attestation of vocational studies (AVS) can be less than 900 hours if it’s combined with a DVS

It mentions that you have to do 50% in Canada. Earlier guidance in the glorious pre-covid era made the distinction of mentioning 50% of your program in-person. With the exception of the 1 year programs, where they don't want people trying to enter Canada after 6 months of online study, the idea is that you do not complete your entire program outside Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html
This page does a better job of explaining it in detail, I am including the relevant snippet

Three changes are being introduced:

• Students may now study online from abroad until April 30, 2021, with no time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit, provided 50% of their program of study is eventually completed in Canada.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 and study online up to April 30, 2021, and who graduate from more than one eligible program of study, may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada.