+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concerns/questions around 'short' landing

pitra426

Jan 1, 2016
Hi,

I have planned for a short landing (later this week) but have a lot of concerns based on the different inputs from different posters around this.

Would really appreciate some quick inputs on the same.

1. I want to be true to the IO if asked about the duration of my stay -I have seen posters mentioning that a short landing can and has led to denied landings, while other IOs were ok and cool with it.
I am really confused if I should tell the IO that I am booked in a BNB for a week and plan to go back in a week?

2. No Canadian address: I have no friends/relatives in Canada and don't have a residential address as well-some posters have pointed to using UPS mailbox (which provides real street addresses) as an option to get the PR & SIN cards for people who don't have prior connections in Canada. Is there a potential problem with this approach?

3.PR card:
a.Some posters have mentioned that there is no need to fill in IMM5444E (for the first PR card), while others have mentioned to keep the form ready at PoE.
Given point-2 (short landing) above, do I enter my B&B address for current address (item-12) and leave the mailing address field (item-13) blank for now and inform CIC later through an address change request?
b.Do I leave the items 19 to 21 blank (address history/work/educational history/travel history since becoming PR) as I think I would only be a PR after signing the CoPR at the PoE?

4.SIN card: I realize that only the SIN number is mandatory before beginning to work and that the SIN card is not. Is this understanding correct? If yes, would it make sense to apply for the same later (when I am able to move permanently) ,instead of providing an UPS mailbox address for the SIN card as well?

5.For short landing cases, would we need to submit the 'goods to follow' list as well now?
I can try and do that,but only at a generic or category level (say,clothing) and won't have the specific serial numbers of stuff that I may acquire,use for some time (between now and 'true' landing) and bring with me later. Would that suffice for now?
Or,is there a way for us to finalize and declare both the 'accompanying goods' and 'goods to follow' list only when we actually 'land' later and inform CBSA about the same?

My apologies if these questions have already been answered, but I have seen drastically opposite views from posters for the same questions and unsure which is correct.

Your inputs would help to clear a lot of confusion and help me to plan my move better.

Thank you.

Best regards,
R

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
4.SIN card: I realize that only the SIN number is mandatory before beginning to work and that the SIN card is not. Is this understanding correct? If yes, would it make sense to apply for the same later (when I am able to move permanently) ,instead of providing an UPS mailbox address for the SIN card as well?
SIN does not come with a card in Canada. It's given to you on a small paper in Service Canada.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
pitra426 said:
Hi,

I have planned for a short landing (later this week) but have a lot of concerns based on the different inputs from different posters around this.

Would really appreciate some quick inputs on the same.

1. I want to be true to the IO if asked about the duration of my stay -I have seen posters mentioning that a short landing can and has led to denied landings, while other IOs were ok and cool with it.
I am really confused if I should tell the IO that I am booked in a BNB for a week and plan to go back in a week?

2. No Canadian address: I have no friends/relatives in Canada and don't have a residential address as well-some posters have pointed to using UPS mailbox (which provides real street addresses) as an option to get the PR & SIN cards for people who don't have prior connections in Canada. Is there a potential problem with this approach?

3.PR card:
a.Some posters have mentioned that there is no need to fill in IMM5444E (for the first PR card), while others have mentioned to keep the form ready at PoE.
Given point-2 (short landing) above, do I enter my B&B address for current address (item-12) and leave the mailing address field (item-13) blank for now and inform CIC later through an address change request?
b.Do I leave the items 19 to 21 blank (address history/work/educational history/travel history since becoming PR) as I think I would only be a PR after signing the CoPR at the PoE?

5.For short landing cases, would we need to submit the 'goods to follow' list as well now?
I can try and do that,but only at a generic or category level (say,clothing) and won't have the specific serial numbers of stuff that I may acquire,use for some time (between now and 'true' landing) and bring with me later. Would that suffice for now?
Or,is there a way for us to finalize and declare both the 'accompanying goods' and 'goods to follow' list only when we actually 'land' later and inform CBSA about the same?

My apologies if these questions have already been answered, but I have seen drastically opposite views from posters for the same questions and unsure which is correct.

Your inputs would help to clear a lot of confusion and help me to plan my move better.

Thank you.

Best regards,
R
1. It should technically be no problem.
2. AFAIK, you need to give them a Canadian address. They won't mail a PR card to a non-Canadian address. If you don't have one at time of landing, you can tell the officer that. You should have the option to update your address on their webpage
3. You don't need that form
4. You just need a number.They don't even bother mailing you a card anymore
5. yes you need to provide a list of your goods on landing. There is no "actually 'land' later" or "true" landing. You land ONCE, no matter how short your first stay in Canada will be after landing, and you need to be ready when you do so. If you will not be ready, it is best to delay your landing.

Note that I have followed the rules of landing very closely in recent years so perhaps IRCC updated their procedure. But AFAIK, things have not changed.