+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Computer or Paper Based IELTS ?

Wamiq Mughal

Dec 3, 2018
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest or share their experience which one is better for getting better results ?
I know the result comes pretty soon in computer based as compared to paper based.

But still I would like to know which one is better in terms of good grades.

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
That all depends on your personal abilities and how can you handle working on a computer screen as supposed to working on papers in solving the reading and listening parts. Some people can struggle and some can excel.

As far as writing is concerned, computer delivered is by far the BEST option for anyone, as you have the same amount of time dedicated to writing the same count of words but using a QWERTY keyboard, which we all use nowadays and most of us can type pretty fast on. Also, you have the ability to delete and rearrange your thoughts much quickly as supposed to writing using a paper and rubber eraser.

Based on my experience with both (and with CELPIP as well), I highly recommend going for computer delivered, only if you can practice it just as much as you would with regular ielts, only here using a computer screen and a keyboard instead of printing out papers.

Wamiq Mughal

Dec 3, 2018
That all depends on your personal abilities and how can you handle working on a computer screen as supposed to working on papers in solving the reading and listening parts. Some people can struggle and some can excel.

As far as writing is concerned, computer delivered is by far the BEST option for anyone, as you have the same amount of time dedicated to writing the same count of words but using a QWERTY keyboard, which we all use nowadays and most of us can type pretty fast on. Also, you have the ability to delete and rearrange your thoughts much quickly as supposed to writing using a paper and rubber eraser.

Based on my experience with both (and with CELPIP as well), I highly recommend going for computer delivered, only if you can practice it just as much as you would with regular ielts, only here using a computer screen and a keyboard instead of printing out papers.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am looking forward to it. Still a bit confused as I havent experienced computer based before. Writing is the only part where I think computer based will help, I think listening and reading would be quite challenging.

abqalhamairi

Jun 23, 2019
I will give you my two cents on this one as I have had both. BY FAR, computer based was better.

1. for listening: you will have your own headphones which will give you the necessary focus you need to listen to the correct answers. meanwhile, in paper based, everyone is coughing or moving slightly which can distract you. you can even keep these headphones on your ear to prevent you from distraction in other parts of the exam.

2. for writing: in general, we type on a keyboard much faster than we write, therefore you will spend less time in writing and more on brainstorming and proofreading. a great benefit is the words count, where you dont have to count what you type like the paper based test to fulfill your task.

3rd: for reading, you have the text next to the questions at all times, no need to flip pages and search for answers. saving time means more time for reviewing your answers and correcting mistakes.

4. You will get your results in 7 days, much faster than the paper based test.

5. Speaking is the same in both exams.

Wamiq Mughal

Dec 3, 2018
I will give you my two cents on this one as I have had both. BY FAR, computer based was better.

1. for listening: you will have your own headphones which will give you the necessary focus you need to listen to the correct answers. meanwhile, in paper based, everyone is coughing or moving slightly which can distract you. you can even keep these headphones on your ear to prevent you from distraction in other parts of the exam.

2. for writing: in general, we type on a keyboard much faster than we write, therefore you will spend less time in writing and more on brainstorming and proofreading. a great benefit is the words count, where you dont have to count what you type like the paper based test to fulfill your task.

3rd: for reading, you have the text next to the questions at all times, no need to flip pages and search for answers. saving time means more time for reviewing your answers and correcting mistakes.

4. You will get your results in 7 days, much faster than the paper based test.

5. Speaking is the same in both exams.
So were you able to score higher in computer based ? Im just concerned on the listening part in computer based as it could be tricky. But I think I should try computer based now.

Himadri07

Sep 23, 2018
I gave computer based test for ielts.

If you are used to typing on laptop or keyboard at work etc, then I feel you should go for computer based. Since everyone works on computers these days, we are more used to typing than writing.

Secondly, computer based tests have smaller batches than paper and pen based and the facilities were really good atleast where I gave the test from. There were desks with dividers so you cant see the screen of the person next to you.

Actually, whichever test you take just make sure that you do enough practice of that format and you will be good to go. Sharpen on your English and just practice that format , i.e., computer or paper based.

Wamiq Mughal

Dec 3, 2018
I gave computer based test for ielts.

If you are used to typing on laptop or keyboard at work etc, then I feel you should go for computer based. Since everyone works on computers these days, we are more used to typing than writing.

Secondly, computer based tests have smaller batches than paper and pen based and the facilities were really good atleast where I gave the test from. There were desks with dividers so you cant see the screen of the person next to you.

Actually, whichever test you take just make sure that you do enough practice of that format and you will be good to go. Sharpen on your English and just practice that format , i.e., computer or paper based.
Oh yes I am used to keyboard writing. Im thinking of going with computer based however I need practice and get to know computer based.