+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated Work Permit Question

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017
I am in Canada on a tourist visa. I have a H1-B visa for the US and was working remotely for a short time this year from Quebec. The reason that I traveled to Quebec is because I plan to marry my fiancee who is a Canadian citizen. She was married so we are waiting for her divorce certificate. So far it has been around 3 months on a tourist visa here.

I am quitting my job in the US and I'm letting my green card processing go with the hopes of moving to Montreal. I have enough money to support myself for a year. What would be the best course of action to get work here?

I read online that I can't apply for a work permit (Express Entry) to Canada while being a visitor. I have a Masters Degree in Computer Science from the US and in the Data Scientist category (occupation).

I would like to work here in Canada and setup my life here with my new family. What is the approach that I can take?

Is it easy to extend a visitor visa so that I may stay with my fiancee at the very least? We have a ton of proof (because we are in a real relationship *duh!*) to show the immigration people in case they ask.