+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

complicated situation?

fredde587

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
OK so, im here in canada on a tourist visa (6 months)with my girlfriend as she lives here, and it expires in november. I am interested in taking an academic course for grade 12 english, physics 30 and maths 30 so that would prep me for the admission tests and then later on apply for petroleum engineering at NAIT here in edmonton. The academic course is 16 weeks long (4 months). I read on the CIC'S website that you do not need a study permit for courses that are no longer than 6 months, however can i apply for a visitor extension with the intension to study for those 4 months for my academic upgrading course, i was told by someone that "no you can't do that as you were already there for a period of 6 months" is that correct or false? And if I need a study permit would I be able to get one for just a 4 month course?

fredde587

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
yes, thats what ill have to do, however if someone on this forum has an answer it will save me money + its hard to find a cheap one

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fredde587 said:
however can i apply for a visitor extension with the intension to study for those 4 months for my academic upgrading course, i was told by someone that "no you can't do that as you were already there for a period of 6 months" is that correct or false? And if I need a study permit would I be able to get one for just a 4 month course?
Yes, you can apply for a visitor extension. There is no rule stating that a visitor can only be in Canada for 6 months at a time.

fredde587

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
I know that i can apply for an extension, however if i intend to study and take a 4 month course will that be a problem? As i thought it was only for tourism purposes.

fredde587

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
It's fine. Visitors are allowed to take short courses.
Can you actually get more than a 6 month extension? Just wondering because I need it extended by 26th nov and the courses start in january and end in april. And I do not want to go home as I'd like to be here during the christmas and be with my girlfriend / her parents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fredde587 said:
Can you actually get more than a 6 month extension? Just wondering because I need it extended by 26th nov and the courses start in january and end in april. And I do not want to go home as I'd like to be here during the christmas and be with my girlfriend / her parents.
You can ask for more than 6 months; CIC may or may not give it to you. Wait until the beginning of November to apply to extend your status.