+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complex application - tri-citizenship, frequent travel, send more initial info?

lenovo

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Hi there

So I have a complex citizenship application. (who doesn't :p )

1) I am already a dual citizenship. One obtained by birth, and one was through naturalization. Canadian citizenship will be my THIRD citizenship.

2) I travel frequently to the US for work purposes while working for my Canadian employer. I have a visa for the USA. Most travels are for a few days at a time, I return to Canada every weekend. I plan to meet the physical presence requirements though (I will have stayed 3 of the last 4 years), but my travel history will show me entering and exiting the USA on a very frequent basis - like once every week. My residence calculator will be over 4 pages long with all my entry/exits. I also travel throughout Canada for work purposes too.

3) I have been in Canada since 2002 which includes attending Canadian high school and university. I only obtained PR in August 2010 through Canadian Experience Class which is why I'm only applying now.

- Does anyone have similar experience and can anyone offer advice?
- Should I send extra information (e.g. stuff that you would send in a RQ) including tax returns, payslips, etc just so that I can avoid an RQ?
- Should I send in supplementary information such as boarding passes, credit card bills, etc?

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will not be hard for you to prove because I assume you have plenty of documents but due to travel history and your work link to the US, you might get RQ (something like 80% chance). Any documents submitted with your application is a waste of paper.

Cheers,

leor05

Nov 18, 2013
I almost have the same issue, I am saying almost because I do not go to US for work I only go there to visit now my wife. I landed as a permanent resident in Canada from the Philippines and since 2008 when I got my multiple entry visitors visa to the US, I have been going back and forth mainly over the weekend because I still work in Canada and just visit my GF then over the weekend (2 days in a week). After I applied for citizenship (after taking the exam) they sent me a letter asking more information about my travels back and forth and like you said it will be pages after pages of dates in and out and most of it I cannot remember anymore.

After submitting the additional info (only provide the dates that I was out of Canada for more than 1 week) I did not hear anything from them up until I called them to ask about my status (call center) and they said they added 35 months more after receive of initial citizenship application. The result is they will not get back to me after December of 2015 (applied Jan 2013).

Any thoughts on what should I do other than wait till 2015??? :-[

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hey guys,
I am in the same situation as you guys. I have a LOT of travel to the US because my wife was living there at the time (I successfully sponsored her to Canada and now she is with me here) and I travel a lot for business. I am scheduled to take my test on Nov 30th but I'm afraid that they will give me the dreaded "RQ" because of all my absences. I plan on showing up with a lot of evidence that I've been a full time employee for a large company here the whole time and travel is part of my job. I also plan on showing evidence that I was in a long distance relationship with my now wife and it was important that I go visit her (and recommended by CIC that I visit her to show proof of the validity of our relationship when i was sponsoring her).

I am hoping that will be enough but I will not be surprised at all if they serve me up an RQ while I am there. Funny - for spousal sponsorship, me going to visit her looked good to CIC and helped the sponsorship. But for citizenship, me going to visit her looked bad to CIC can hurt my citizenship.

Anyway I will keep you posted on how it goes.

*sigh*

leor05

Nov 18, 2013
keesio said:
Hey guys,
I am in the same situation as you guys. I have a LOT of travel to the US because my wife was living there at the time (I successfully sponsored her to Canada and now she is with me here) and I travel a lot for business. I am scheduled to take my test on Nov 30th but I'm afraid that they will give me the dreaded "RQ" because of all my absences. I plan on showing up with a lot of evidence that I've been a full time employee for a large company here the whole time and travel is part of my job. I also plan on showing evidence that I was in a long distance relationship with my now wife and it was important that I go visit her (and recommended by CIC that I visit her to show proof of the validity of our relationship when i was sponsoring her).

I am hoping that will be enough but I will not be surprised at all if they serve me up an RQ while I am there. Funny - for spousal sponsorship, me going to visit her looked good to CIC and helped the sponsorship. But for citizenship, me going to visit her looked bad to CIC can hurt my citizenship.

Anyway I will keep you posted on how it goes.

*sigh*
One thing I can advice is that before you go take your test be ready with a written explanation as to why you are always away because on the sheet that they provided when you first apply for your citizenship they do not give you enough room to explain your in's and out's of canada, also include the date if possible and hand it over to the judge to make an appeal.

Reason why I am saying this because I experience this that after I took the exam they sent me a questioner letter about your absence and once you receive that they will automatically add 35 months on your application, so now they won't review or touch my application until Dec. 2015.

Filled my application Jan 2013 got my study guide April, took the exam July, got that letter 3rd week of July and now im still waiting. The rest of my family are already citizen.

???

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thanks for the tip. Do you think I should give the letter to them without being asked or only if they question me about my residency in Canada?

Sorry to hear of your experience. I hope it does not take as long as they told you. Especially because I think I'm in the same boat as you in regards to a lot of absences.