+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Completing my RO of 730 days on May 31. Should apply for PR renewal on June 1?

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
My PR card expires in October 28, 2023. I believe IRCC is taking ~3-4 months to process renewal of PR cards.

I was wondering if I should request a renewal of PR card as soon as I complete my residency obligation of 730 days?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
If you're confident to your calculation you can do so. I have 5 days buffer and get new card normally. But if I am you, I will apply it four months before my earliest trip, or if there is no planned trip, wait until your card expires.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR card expires in October 28, 2023. I believe IRCC is taking ~3-4 months to process renewal of PR cards.

I was wondering if I should request a renewal of PR card as soon as I complete my residency obligation of 730 days?
You probably would be fine to do so, but any error would cause an issue or delay. So most here suggest some 'buffer' of extra days.

How many? Let's put it this way - depends how many trips abroad you have and how complicated departures are, etc. And how confident you are.

But the way I'd look at it is: each extra day of buffer has less value. A few days extra -quite valuable if you've made a minor calculation. A week - more valuable but not as dramatically. Etc. My guess - 30 days extra probably enough for most, difference between that and 60 days actually not so big, beyond 90 days (i.e. 820 days + in Canada) - probably close to zero additional benefit for most.