Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
18-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-08-11
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
FINALLY I'm about ready to send in my CEC application to Buffalo, having gathered (almost) all of my required materials. However, I've been looking at the Buffalo Consulate's website, and their "helpful hints" section for the proper way to submit the application, and I find that it's not really a complete description. I want to get it right, so I wonder if someone might be able to advise me:

1. They list the preferred order of documents and supporting material for the application package, but they do not mention:
the Document Checklist
employers' letters of reference
educational transcripts
copies of recent T4 and Notice of Assesment
copies of work permit
IELTS test results
Should I just arrange them in the order listed in the Document Checklist, and place them in order after all the other main documents specifically listed by the Buffalo website?

2. Buffalo specifically requests that the generic Application for Permanent Residence in Canada, with the cost recovery cheque, be the first page of the application. I've been advised by the CIC call centre to write a letter explaining one or two unique elements of my application having to do with my employment that may initially look like discrepancies but hopefully are not. I would've made that my cover letter to the application. Any suggestions as to its more proper placement?

3. I am 100% certain that I will be leaving Canada before I get notification from Buffalo that they've received my application and are (hopefully) beginning to process it. Right now, however, any place where I've been asked on the application to put my current or mailing address, I've put my Canadian address...which is currently what it is, and what it will be when I send in my application. Should I change it to what I'm sure WILL be my mailing address by the time the Consulate receives/starts to process my application, or should I wait until I've actually moved to alert the Consulate of my new address? I worry that, because I won't yet have received an AOR and won't therefore be able to use a Buffalo Visa Office file number when I'm giving them my change of address, that they won't be able to match that new information with my application.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
USNick said:
1. They list the preferred order of documents and supporting material for the application package, but they do not mention:
the Document Checklist
employers' letters of reference
educational transcripts
copies of recent T4 and Notice of Assesment
copies of work permit
IELTS test results
Should I just arrange them in the order listed in the Document Checklist, and place them in order after all the other main documents specifically listed by the Buffalo website?

That baffled me too - why give a 'document order' list that does not include all the documents? In the end, I just used the document checklist to put them in order, it was ok.

2. Buffalo specifically requests that the generic Application for Permanent Residence in Canada, with the cost recovery cheque, be the first page of the application. I've been advised by the CIC call centre to write a letter explaining one or two unique elements of my application having to do with my employment that may initially look like discrepancies but hopefully are not. I would've made that my cover letter to the application. Any suggestions as to its more proper placement?

Put the letter behind the generic app form. They really do want that check on top :)

3. I am 100% certain that I will be leaving Canada before I get notification from Buffalo that they've received my application and are (hopefully) beginning to process it. Right now, however, any place where I've been asked on the application to put my current or mailing address, I've put my Canadian address...which is currently what it is, and what it will be when I send in my application. Should I change it to what I'm sure WILL be my mailing address by the time the Consulate receives/starts to process my application, or should I wait until I've actually moved to alert the Consulate of my new address? I worry that, because I won't yet have received an AOR and won't therefore be able to use a Buffalo Visa Office file number when I'm giving them my change of address, that they won't be able to match that new information with my application.

That is difficult. If you KNOW what your mailing address will be, I would put that if there is a separate place for "mailing address" (don't remember all the details of the forms right now). I assume it will be a US address, which simplifies things in your case, since the application would go to Buffalo either way.

Just FYI, it seems that the most recent AORs for CEC applicants have come by email...

Still, to be safe, do you have someone in Canada you can trust with your mail? Might be a good idea to set up a mail forwarding order (6 months service) before you leave...