+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuting from Point Roberts to Bellingham - time in Canada counting for RO

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Thanks both. Yes, I am aware of the “who accompanies whom” issue. Hasn’t been an issue so far, so might as well keep on. White Rick would certainly be a nice option, but I am in a job that doesn’t allow me to either reside or work outside of US.

Last edited:

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Thanks both. Yes, I am aware of the “who accompanies whom” issue. Hasn’t been an issue so far, so might as well keep on. White Rick would certainly be a nice option, but I am in a job that doesn’t allow to either reside or work outside of US.
It is easy to make assumptions, and in this instance your replies would imply that your wife is accompanying you (and not vice versa), and this fact was overlooked so far. The hope is that it will be overlooked in future. My assumption (that your Canadian spouse followed you out of the Canada) could be wrong. But if it's accurate, then you are placing yourself at the mercy of an individual adjudicator who will look at your case and decide whether you complied with RO or not (with written regulation clearly not on your side). The other option you mentioned and cited a law for (communing from US to US via Canada), would be a much better and surer way to retain your PR status. If there is , ever, a choice between hoping for goodwill of executive official with discretionary power versus relying on a written law (and intent of parliament) , I would always rely on a written law. First is a gamble. Latter is something you can take to court of law, if any dispute or disagreement arises.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
... but I am in a job that doesn’t allow work outside of US.
You say your job doesn't allow work outside of US but you havent' quite clarified why - in this scenario - you woulnd't just live in Canada and commute instead of specifically residing in Port Roberts so as to be able to commute while crossing into Canada frequently (yes, gaming the system). But anyway, that's up to you - your reasons are your reasons.

As @dpenabill notes, this is probably more difficult in practice than in theory. In theory, yep, any part-days in Canada count as a full day in Canada. In practice it's just impossible to say how much difficulty you would have crossing the borders four times a day. Despite what some might say, border officers (in both countries) can basically stop and question you for as long as they'd like, inspect your stuff, etc. (Yes, there are some limits - they won't hold you for a week - but since we're talking about four interactions a working day - even extended questioning 1 in every 100 crossings is just a bit less than once a month.)

I'd also note: even if this might work for years, things could come up that would make it completely unworkable - notably covid meant some very, very inconvenient and problematic situations for Port Roberts residents. Just as an example.

Which is all fine if those are risks you're willing to take and deal with it as these things come up.