+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuting for Work into US with PR Status but no PR Card

annanadjer

Dec 28, 2016
Hello all,

Hoping I can get some help, as I have searched the forum but have been unsuccessful in finding straight answers. I'm curious about and am hoping someone can help clarify. Let me catch you up to where we stand today. I am a US citizen who is currently married to a Canadian citizen and have submitted for PR. I currently live and work in Buffalo, NY and she lives in Toronto, ON. I also currently work in Buffalo, NY. So here are my questions:

1) When I get PR approval and I officially "land" in Canada, can I continue to go back and forth between the US and Canada to work in Buffalo until I find a job in Canada? Can I simply show my stamped passport and cross at the border in a private vehicle until I receive PR Card?

2) Can I apply for and obtain my SIN with just PR approval and not the actual/physical PR card in hand?

3) Will the days that I spend working in the USA and commuting back and forth count toward my requirement for maintaining PR status? I am getting mixed answer on this one. I understand the two years for every 5 years and don't intend to continue working in the US for longer than a couple of month but just want to be absolutely sure.

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
BGC in progress on 15 December
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
annanadjer said:
Hello all,

Hoping I can get some help, as I have searched the forum but have been unsuccessful in finding straight answers. I'm curious about and am hoping someone can help clarify. Let me catch you up to where we stand today. I am a US citizen who is currently married to a Canadian citizen and have submitted for PR. I currently live and work in Buffalo, NY and she lives in Toronto, ON. I also currently work in Buffalo, NY. So here are my questions:

1) When I get PR approval and I officially "land" in Canada, can I continue to go back and forth between the US and Canada to work in Buffalo until I find a job in Canada? Can I simply show my stamped passport and cross at the border in a private vehicle until I receive PR Card?

2) Can I apply for and obtain my SIN with just PR approval and not the actual/physical PR card in hand?

3) Will the days that I spend working in the USA and commuting back and forth count toward my requirement for maintaining PR status? I am getting mixed answer on this one. I understand the two years for every 5 years and don't intend to continue working in the US for longer than a couple of month but just want to be absolutely sure.
Question 1: you can still work in the US. And go back and forth. As long as you have US passport you don't need PR card to travel between US and Canada.
Question 2: you can get SIN number with copr. No need of physical PR card.
Question 3: I am sorry, I am not sure.

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annanadjer said:
Hello all,

1 and 2 is already answered by the person above.

3. Are you doing daily commute? As long as you re-enter Canada within the same day, the day will count towards your residency
6.4 Day
For the purpose of calculating the number of days to comply with the residency obligation
in A28(2)(a), a day includes a full day or any part of a day that a permanent resident is
physically present in Canada. Any part of a day spent in Canada, or otherwise in compliance
with A28(2)(a), is to be counted as one full day for the purpose of calculating the 730 days in
a five-year period.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf Page 17

annanadjer

Dec 28, 2016
Yes, it would be a daily commute. Into the US for work in the morning, back to Canada at night after work to go home. If that's the case, that is great news!

Thank you all for the help!!! :D