+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuters or Canadians can they claim Employment insurance from US?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Any one knows if commuters or Canadians can claim Employment Insurance from US?
Same question i have but seems there is confusion and cant talk to MI labor dept as phone's too busy.... I dont know if we are even eligible as i never could get exact information if anyone from this side got the benefits from US side.... Also we(like me) are not even Canadians hence i see remote chance for us. Visa holders of other country anyway are not eligible but dont know if Canadians(/residents of canada) are eligible.

I saw this but it says that we should apply in US and not much information.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Same question i have but seems there is confusion and cant talk to MI labor dept as phone's too busy.... I dont know if we are even eligible as i never could get exact information if anyone from this side got the benefits from US side.... Also we(like me) are not even Canadians hence i see remote chance for us. Visa holders of other country anyway are not eligible but dont know if Canadians(/residents of canada) are eligible.

I saw this but it says that we should apply in US and not much information.
Canada & USA have a program for individuals that worked in USA living in Canada. The reason there's not much information is because it would be an American EI program youd apply too. You'd have to contact the Americans to get information, Canada would not be involved

justinline

May 19, 2009
In Canada EI is Federally administered ....US it is State subject. So must adhere to the State laws. One major clause which throws us under the bus.....Are you available and willing to work in the state? Now this clause looks like has been interpreted in such a way .....if you are in Canada and out of visa.....apparently that availability is out question.
But looks like Canadians can still apply at Service Canada center. The website does say " You may be eligible".
Man.....what a shit show. Been through the 2008 recession, this one looks even bigger one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In Canada EI is Federally administered ....US it is State subject. So must adhere to the State laws. One major clause which throws us under the bus.....Are you available and willing to work in the state? Now this clause looks like has been interpreted in such a way .....if you are in Canada and out of visa.....apparently that availability is out question.
But looks like Canadians can still apply at Service Canada center. The website does say " You may be eligible".
Man.....what a shit show. Been through the 2008 recession, this one looks even bigger one.
If you have been commuting to work in the US you won’t qualify for EI In Canada
You never paid into EI.