+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuter h1 stamping in Toronto

baishali

Jan 31, 2020
I had first time h1 visa interview Tuesday this week in Toronto. I told the VO that I recently accepted Canada PR and I want to commute between Windsor and Detroit. VO’s tone was very derogatory and she commented I left US and still want to take privilege in that country. VO seemed very surprised that I want to use a visa that lets me live and work in US, to commute from another country. She was also surprised to hear that my husband on h1 does the same. She gave me a yellow slip 221-g and told me she needs to find out if I can commute.

Please share if anyone had any negative experience during commuter h1 visa stamping.

baishali

Jan 31, 2020
What do you mean I am lucky?
If you are trying to scare the shit out of people here....that aint happening..sorry..!!
Sorry, didn’t mean to scare anyone. You are lucky to get a VO who know about commuter h1. My VO seemed to have no clue about it.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I had first time h1 visa interview Tuesday this week in Toronto. I told the VO that I recently accepted Canada PR and I want to commute between Windsor and Detroit. VO’s tone was very derogatory and she commented I left US and still want to take privilege in that country. VO seemed very surprised that I want to use a visa that lets me live and work in US, to commute from another country. She was also surprised to hear that my husband on h1 does the same. She gave me a yellow slip 221-g and told me she needs to find out if I can commute.

Please share if anyone had any negative experience during commuter h1 visa stamping.
Similar experience for my colleague but at the border at ambassador bridge. All the time one particular cbp guy would ask "why are you coming to US and taking american jobs and blah blah" instead of questioning his job authenticity. For years this was happening from one guy. But in the last few years he seems to be out of that location/employment.

Even my other colleague was accused for same thing(trying to benefit from both sides) 2 years back at windsor by a cop during a traffic stop after seeing Michigan driver license.

So looks like some guys want to take things on their own hand without going by the books.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I think Toronto or Canadian embassies should be avoided at all cost for stamping is someone is PR holder. It seems there is so much scrutiny on being PR for one country and seeking work visa for another. I am not sure why VOs get in to this PR topic instead of issuing visa on its own merits. I went to stamping in India recently and they didn't seem to care anything about this thing despite indicating about being PR.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I think Toronto or Canadian embassies should be avoided at all cost for stamping is someone is PR holder. It seems there is so much scrutiny on being PR for one country and seeking work visa for another. I am not sure why VOs get in to this PR topic instead of issuing visa on its own merits. I went to stamping in India recently and they didn't seem to care anything about this thing despite indicating about being PR.
I am not sure how many cases but not yet heard (except from your end) on it. They should not considering what status because even canadians commute and visas is for foreighn citizens hence it doesnt matter which status they hold in Canada as all visa holders are foreigners anyway.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I am not sure how many cases but not yet heard (except from your end) on it. They should not considering what status because even canadians commute and visas is for foreighn citizens hence it doesnt matter which status they hold in Canada as all visa holders are foreigners anyway.
True, but PR is kind of a different status right. To citizens they cannot ask why are you going to US, but to PR they can ask about it as the status is strongly coupled with residency. They would definitely be interested in knowing how on earth someone can work in a different country being permanent resident of one country. The name itself indeed says 'permanent' resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When both spouses are commuting to the US with the ability to live in the US I think it is very fair for both Canada and the US to question whether this is a good use of the visa and PR programs.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

Can i know if you are full time or consultant working for the client?
Were you asked to submit any documents at all?
Did the visa officer ask on status in Canada? For us, the first counter who verifies the documents ask for local status if we are visitor/PR before we move to other counter for interview with visa officer who doesnt ask on any status.
Of course they can ask but asking of it was the visa officer who interviewed you asking on it.

baishali

Jan 31, 2020
Hi all, just to update, I got email from consulate after a week from the interview to send passport for visa issuance. I got the passport back today with h1 visa stamp. In the annotation area it also says “Canadian Permanent Resident”.

Last edited:

baishali

Jan 31, 2020
Can i know if you are full time or consultant working for the client?
Were you asked to submit any documents at all?
Did the visa officer ask on status in Canada? For us, the first counter who verifies the documents ask for local status if we are visitor/PR before we move to other counter for interview with visa officer who doesnt ask on any status.
Of course they can ask but asking of it was the visa officer who interviewed you asking on it.
I am full time employee.
They did not ask me to submit any docuemnt. 221-g did not mention any document.
At the first counter they asked me to show proof of PR in Canada. The visa officer also asked about the same.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am full time employee.
At the first counter they asked me to show proof of PR in Canada. The visa officer also asked about the same.
Good to know. The consular officer was probably less informed earlier.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I am full time employee.
Ok. Thanks for the update. Good luck.

Anurag003

Oct 21, 2018
Hey All,
I m trying to figure out how long it took to get 221g cleared. I know it’s very subjective and case by case but just try8ng to get a best guesstimate. Would appreciate any info.
Thanks and good luck all!