+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Communication from Visa Office.

FlameLily

Oct 8, 2008
Hi Guys.

I received some communication from the Canadian Visa Office, in November 2008. It inquires whether i still wish to continue with my application under the FSW or whether i wish to withdraw it in which case i will be entitled to re-claim any fees i have paid.
Now, my understanding of this, is that they are preparing to assess my application. Is this correct? If so, how soon will it be before they request me to start sending them documents etc.

I applied in January 2007 at the Canadian Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa, under the Simplified Application Process. I received an AOR about two weeks later in February 2007. This communication that i received from them, is the next bit of information i have since received from them.

Another thing i've noticed is that i fit into the 38 occupations recently announced. However, my application was submitted in January 2007.

A final query i'd like to ask, is whether it's necessary for me to do the IELTS test. I am a University lecturer who has been teaching to University students in English for the last three and a half years. Surely, that should be sufficient proof of my proficiency in English.

Thanks, guys, cheer up and good luck to you all.
FlamLily.

A

adnan_hsn

FlameLily said:
I received some communication from the Canadian Visa Office, in November 2008. It inquires whether i still wish to continue with my application under the FSW or whether i wish to withdraw it in which case i will be entitled to re-claim any fees i have paid.
Now, my understanding of this, is that they are preparing to assess my application. Is this correct?
That doesn't mean they are preparing to process your application. These letters are sent to everyone who applied before 27 Feb 2008 to see if they are still interested. Its up to you if you want to withdraw your application or want to remain in the queue, but if you are still interested to immigrate to Canada then ignore that letter.

FlameLily said:
Another thing i've noticed is that i fit into the 38 occupations recently announced. However, my application was submitted in January 2007.
That doesn't matter to you as you applied before 27th Feb 2008

KSN

Nov 20, 2008
Hi

Check this article out from CIC website w.r.t. IELTS.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/research/2006-canada-australia.asp

"13. The age of recently-arrived degree-qualified migrants significantly affected employment outcomes, although this pattern was also influenced by demand by field.

In Canada and Australia, in every professional field examined but IT, medicine and nursing, new locally-born graduates enjoyed greater access to work in their profession than 1996-2001 migrant arrivals (all ages).

Employment outcomes by age and gender were most similar to the Canada-born for degreequalified migrants from English-speaking background source countries (the UK/Ireland, USA/Canada and South Africa) in addition to those from North West Europe. A similar pattern was found in Australia."

- I'm a South African. We(my spouse and I) did not do the IELTS and they did not request it. We did however send them a letter that English was our home and first language and we were taught in English from School through University and referred them to our School and University transcripts as proof. From the research i've done on this topic and reading other peoples experiences, if you're from another part of Africa it is very likely that they will ask you to do the IELTS.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KSN said:
- I'm a South African. We(my spouse and I) did not do the IELTS and they did not request it. We did however send them a letter that English was our home and first language and we were taught in English from School through University and referred them to our School and University transcripts as proof. From the research i've done on this topic and reading other peoples experiences, if you're from another part of Africa it is very likely that they will ask you to do the IELTS.
If English is your native language, they don't ask for IELTS unless they don't believe you or something. If English is not your native language, they usually make you take IELTS to prove your knowledge. There is a provision for sending other data/documents to prove your English proficiency but I've heard of several cases where they made them take IELTS anyway.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Leon said:
If English is your native language, they don't ask for IELTS unless they don't believe you or something. If English is not your native language, they usually make you take IELTS to prove your knowledge. There is a provision for sending other data/documents to prove your English proficiency but I've heard of several cases where they made them take IELTS anyway.
will it be still required if someone has a Master's degree in the philology of English language?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's up to you to decide if you think they will require IELTS or not but if you don't take it, be prepared that they might ask for it.

If you apply for FSW and give yourself full points for English, if you need those points, you better make sure that you can pass the IELTS with a good enough score.

KSN

Nov 20, 2008
Leon said:
KSN said:

The reason this article helped me is that for a large part of South Africans, english is not their native language even though my native language is English. It was important to see if CIC regarded SA as an English speaking country or not.