+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common-law sponsorship

thatwasrude

Jun 14, 2014
I (canadian) am looking at sponsoring my boyfriend (british) He and I met when i was visiting england in july 2012, he and i had a casual relationship while i was in england and when i came home in sept. 2012 we continued a long distance relationship. I went back to england to visit him (feb 2013) and at that point knew this was a relationship i truly wanted to work out. As of March 2013 my boyfriend started to apply for a working holiday visa. He finally came over to Canada in July 2013. Since he arrived he and I have continued our relationship. From July 2013- march 2014 we were living in my parents house due to finances. As of March 2014 he and I have been living together in our own apartment.

Looking into the common-law sponsorship visa, I know we need to prove evidence of our relationship. The main issue we have is proving we have lived together. Seeing that we lived with my parents for 8 months we never had a lease or utility bills. His phone is in my name due to him being a foreigner. As of march 2014 we can prove a lease/bills. How can we prove that we have indeed been living together for a year as of july 2014. (we don't plan on applying until after july 2014 so we have common law status) On the CIC website it says we need a Statutory declaration of common-law status, how do we get one of these? The only other evidence we have of our relationship is: some photos of family events, minor trips, we do have a joint credit card but we never actually use it we always pay cash or use our own debit cards. All bill payments come out of my personal account and he gives me the money to deposit. We have employers/friends/relatives writing letters stating our relationship is genuine. Also we can provide Facebook messages/texts from the day we met to now. In those you can clearly read that we are indeed a couple. We have cards and momentums we have given each other. He and I have joint tenant insurance. I have read that people have provided evidence of being each others beneficiary, My boyfriend is not as i don't have life insurance, he also isn't on my car insurance as he doesn't drive in canada.

Right now I am worried We don't have enough evidence to support our relationship, can someone please help us and give us advice on what we can do given the circumstances above?

jmd2014

Apr 8, 2014
The credit card helps if the bills/statements show both your names and address on it. Even if there is no balance you should be able to get a monthly statement.

You may also try getting statutory declarations from friends and your parents stating that you have been living together at your parents in a common law. Having these declarations done in front of a Commissioner of Oaths may carry more weight than just a normal letter.

Lack of evidence may certainly raise some red flags with CIC