+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship vs marriage sponsorship

samira_da

Dec 3, 2016
I would like to know that does the common law sponsorship take the same time as the spouse sponsorship? or due to irregular cases to officers it might takes longer? The reason of asking is, I have PR and I have engaged with my partner before I landed in Canada last year, he is in back home now. I want to file the common law sponsorship for my partner as we have all evidences. Although we have plan to legally get married this summer but in order to save the time I want to file the application sooner. Does it worth to try?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on your previous posts, you had been living with your partner for several years before immigrating to Canada. Is that correct? If so, did you declare your partner in your PR application and was your partner medically examined?

samira_da

Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the reply, yes we have lived together but I didn't include him in my PR application because we were not married that time and I didn't know I can include my partner in the application as well. We decided I come to Canada and then later we apply for him. I just recently noticed that common law sponsorship is also accepted by Canada! Does it cause any issue that I didn't include him in my application previously?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
samira_da said:
Thanks for the reply, yes we have lived together but I didn't include him in my PR application because we were not married that time and I didn't know I can include my partner in the application as well. We decided I come to Canada and then later we apply for him. I just recently noticed that common law sponsorship is also accepted by Canada! Does it cause any issue that I didn't include him in my application previously?
Yes - unfortunately it is a big issue. Because you failed to include him in your application when you immigrated to Canada, you can never sponsor him for PR (even if you get married). He will have to find a way to immigrate to Canada on his own without being sponsored by you.

If you try to sponsor him, best case scenario - he will be refused. Worst case scenario - he will be refused and you will also lose your own PR status for failing to declare him in your application (misrepresentation in your application).

samira_da

Dec 3, 2016
Oh so sad!! we were preparing all documentations to file the application. However if we get married in a couple of months and introduce it as a recent relationship I still can not sponsor him? I see many people around me going back to home country getting married and file their sponsorship application and bring their spouse here.

PGR

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-01-2017
samira_da said:
Unfortunately it does, you should have declared your partner as your common law spouse in your PR application. If you attempt to sponsor him as your common law partner now, CIC may revoke your permanent residency on the grounds of misrepresentation. Your situation is sadly not uncommon and keeps coming back from time to time.

One alternative is to renounce your permanent residency, restart the PR process and include your spouse in your new application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
samira_da said:
Oh so sad!! we were preparing all documentations to file the application. However if we get married in a couple of months and introduce it as a recent relationship I still can not sponsor him? I see many people around me going back to home country getting married and file their sponsorship application and bring their spouse here.
If you do that, you will be committing misrepresentation (lying in your application). You should expect this lie to be discovered during background checks given the two of you have shared an address for years. Once that happens, your partner's application will be refused and your partner will be given a five year ban from Canada for misrepresentation. It's possible CIC will then go after you and move to revoke your PR status.

samira_da

Dec 3, 2016
I see!! ok thanks for all of your advices. I'm happy I asked my question here now for sure I will not file the sponsorship application. Actually he has applied through the skill worker program but we thought we can proceed the sponsorship application as well to speedup the migration process. It seems we should wait for his PR application.

PGR

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-01-2017
samira_da said:
I see!! ok thanks for all of your advices. I'm happy I asked my question here now for sure I will not file the sponsorship application. Actually he has applied through the skill worker program but we thought we can proceed the sponsorship application as well to speedup the migration process. It seems we should wait for his PR application.
That's a wise decision. Immigration fraud is not acceptable or worth the risk, especially if your spouse qualifies for a different immigration programme. Best of luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
samira_da said:
Yes - that's the right thing to do.