+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship: "Proof of Contact / Sponsor visits"

sacul

Jun 9, 2018
Hello! I've got a pretty particular situation, and I'm wondering if I could get some of your input.

The Situation:

I'm a US citizen, and my partner is Canadian, and we are applying for my permanent residency under the common-law family class sponsorship.

We have lived together for over two years (in Germany), and have documented (translated) proof of this.

I am currently in Canada on a tourist visa, living with my partner, but I will be leaving the country at the end of the month (tourist visa runs out). So, we are planning on sending the application package out before this, but saying that we are not currently living together (because technically we will not be living together while the application is processing). This means that we need to provide:
  • Documents to show that we previously cohabitated (not a problem)
  • Proof of Contact
  • Proof of Sponsor's visits
The problem is that we don't really have the correct type of proof of contact or proof of sponsor's visits to me, because while we will technically not be living together during the application process, we are living together now and don't have that sort of proof of contact. We do have lots of text messages, whats app, social media, etc. but none of it shows that we are in contact because we are separated. What should we provide?

sacul

Jun 9, 2018
If you’re planning on submitting the application before you return to the US you should apply as a common law currently living together because that is the truth. It does not matter that you will be returning to the US at the end of the month, if you apply under the family class (Outland type). You could also apply as an inland application and apply for a work permit to be able to stay in Canada
Thanks, that makes sense... we were kind of wondering if that is what we should do.