+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsor - Chance to go back to University

DevonR

Jun 26, 2019
My partner and I have just applied for her PR, via Family Class Sponsorship. I'm sponsoring her as her common law partner. I understand a part of the requirements for that is that as the sponsor, I must NOT "receive social assistance for reasons other than a disability"

However, I have recently found I'm able to go back to University in September 2019. Our PR application at the very soonest won't be done until January 2020.

I am Metis, and planned on having the Metis fund my 2019-2020 year of University -- that would be done either through gaining E.I., or direct funding from the Metis Nation its self. Is this something that would jeopardize our PR application? Is there a way I can go to school, and also still be a sponsor for my partner?

AlgCad0218

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
21-02-2018
File Transfer...
05-05-2018
Med's Done....
03-05-2018
What you are describing would in no way hurt your application. It’s not social assistance/welfare.

DevonR

Jun 26, 2019
What you are describing would in no way hurt your application. It’s not social assistance/welfare.
That is a relief! I figured it was different from social assistance/welfare, but I just want to make sure everything is good first.

You also have to show how you can support yourselves.
Both my partner and I have full time careers at the moment, and she'll be keeping hers for the foreseeable future, for longer than my schooling. I assume that should be good enough then?

It's just so easy to get so nervous and worried about this whole process, I want to make sure everything works out properly for her! haha. I guess I was under the impression that as the "sponsor" I needed to show that I am working full time and can support my partner, even though she's got her own source of income and doesn't need that "support".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Both my partner and I have full time careers at the moment, and she'll be keeping hers for the foreseeable future, for longer than my schooling. I assume that should be good enough then?

It's just so easy to get so nervous and worried about this whole process, I want to make sure everything works out properly for her! haha. I guess I was under the impression that as the "sponsor" I needed to show that I am working full time and can support my partner, even though she's got her own source of income and doesn't need that "support".
If you have savings and so does she it should be fine. When she moves to Canada she would likely have to find a new job.

DevonR

Jun 26, 2019
If you have savings and so does she it should be fine. When she moves to Canada she would likely have to find a new job.
She's already living in Canada, on a working Visa, so that part should be good already as well. Thank you!