+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law questions

clairemynx

Nov 24, 2019
1) will i need to have a large savings to prove i can afford sponsorship? im planning for 14 grand in savings this year. we wont be doing common law till later next year.

2) im on disability although i do work a job with varying hours per month. will disability status make it less likely to be approved?

3) will i have to actually cover all my partners living costs? do i only have to prove i can afford it?

4) can my partner combine his savings with mine to cover our living costs or is it all on me as the sponsor?

5) do i need an income? ive read you dont need one to sponsor.

Crystel13

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
No there is no specific income requirement when sponsoring a spouse but you need to show that you will be able to help if needed. you don't need a specific amount of savings. The only thing is you can't receive social welfare and need to prove that you won't need it while you are sponsoring your spouse.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1) will i need to have a large savings to prove i can afford sponsorship? im planning for 14 grand in savings this year. we wont be doing common law till later next year.

2) im on disability although i do work a job with varying hours per month. will disability status make it less likely to be approved?

3) will i have to actually cover all my partners living costs? do i only have to prove i can afford it?

4) can my partner combine his savings with mine to cover our living costs or is it all on me as the sponsor?

5) do i need an income? ive read you dont need one to sponsor.
1. You don't need it but as you are on disability, having savings would be good.

2. No. It does make it more likely that you will have extra scrutiny of your finances.

3. If your partner refuses to pay anything, yes, you need to cover all of his expenses. That is the undertaking that you sign with the government to sponsor.

4. IRCC will look at the family financials.

5. No but as you are on disability, you need to make sure you have a solid financial plan.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Disability isn't a show stopper if you can prove it:
able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Very confused. Are you on CPP disability? Most disability programs do not allow you to save 14k. If you have that much savings you are supposed to love on your own savings.