+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law question

kreup

Sep 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been living together for about 8 months now and will be applying through common law sponsorship at 12 months to get her PR. Unfortunately, something came up at her home country and she wants to go back to visit her family for 2 weeks (I won't be going as I am still in school). If she does that, will we have to start the common law process again (i.e. live together for 12 straight months once she returns), or is it okay if we are apart for only 2-3 weeks? She doesn't have much time left on her PGWP so we can't afford to mess it up so we just wanted to know if it was possible!

Thanks!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been living together for about 8 months now and will be applying through common law sponsorship at 12 months to get her PR. Unfortunately, something came up at her home country and she wants to go back to visit her family for 2 weeks (I won't be going as I am still in school). If she does that, will we have to start the common law process again (i.e. live together for 12 straight months once she returns), or is it okay if we are apart for only 2-3 weeks? She doesn't have much time left on her PGWP so we can't afford to mess it up so we just wanted to know if it was possible!

Thanks!
Two or three weeks apart with a good reason should fine fibe, just dont make it any longer. Also read up on the various CIC proofs required, it is a lot more than just living together for 12 months (perhaps you already know this).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Keep it to no more than 2 weeks.