+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Proof of 12 months cohabitation? Also Application size??Help Please

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Hi there,
Me and my Canadian girlfriend of almost 2 year's, are applying for common-law sponsorship through outland. We have been living together in my home country for the past 5 months after my working visa for Canada had ended. We had previously lived together for over a year in Canada at a few different addresses including her family home for almost 8-9 months if that time. Unfortunately, we have no real proof we stayed together at these addresses, as they were all short term over the summer months through Craigslist and therefore no lease was ever needed. We could get her mom and my mom to sign affidavits to say we lived in our respective family homes together but for other addresses, I don't know. We have lots of old payslips being sent to our addresses that could help prove, plus we filed our taxes together at same address I am pretty sure. Would this be enough, do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Plus:: Also we have been trying to figure out the best way to send our application, we have seen lots of other people's applications on here having hundreds of pages but we don't understand how. We have pretty much finished off the 3-4 main documents in the document checklist and have moved on to part B proof of relationship. We have started on the 20 pictures as proof part and think that maybe we could just write about our whole relationship up to know, including lots of photos documenting everything and this would add some pages to the application. Where else should we be writing additional information pages about other parts of the application or proof of our relationship?
Thank you again, everybody!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it is difficult to say whether the proof you have will be accepted by IRCC. i'm sure having old paychecks, tax documents and a letter of explanation about the short term rentals will help. others with more experience with commonlaw will advise i'm sure.

Djdj9037 said:
Plus:: Also we have been trying to figure out the best way to send our application, we have seen lots of other people's applications on here having hundreds of pages but we don't understand how. We have pretty much finished off the 3-4 main documents in the document checklist and have moved on to part B proof of relationship. We have started on the 20 pictures as proof part and think that maybe we could just write about our whole relationship up to know, including lots of photos documenting everything and this would add some pages to the application. Where else should we be writing additional information pages about other parts of the application or proof of our relationship?
Thank you again, everybody!
Don't compare your application to other people's. Every application is unique to the couple applying. A lot of the applications that were 100s of pages are before the new application process that started in January. The new application has created limits on required proofs to avoid receiving applications that are 100s and 1000s pages long. it is not necessary to send anything more than what is required and there's no need to provide information that is not specifically asked for in the application. go by the current checklist and guides, stick to the requirements and you'll be fine.

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for your reply and help. I feel better about requirements for application size, as I have been following document checklist and guides and thought hundreds of pages would have been impossible. Still unsure about some proof relationship documentation but hopefully there won't be any issues.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Hi,

I am also sponsoring my common-law partner the outland route. We lived together in Canada in the house I own for about a year. He was on a working holiday visa too. We obviously didn't have rental agreements to show we lived at the same address obviously (the house is under my name only).

We only included as proof that he lived at that address through the paystubs from work he had with dates on them with our Canadian address. He had his name on some bills too, showing the address. We didn't have much else to go on. I worry now that maybe we didn't have enough proof, but I think if IRCC has any doubts, they will ask you for more proof.

If you filed your taxes together, that would be another strong piece of evidence that you could submit to show you where at the same residence.

Just submit as much as you have and hopefully it will be enough.