+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law PR sponsorship - what happens if refused?

joshs146

Feb 27, 2021
I have applied for PR, sponsored by my common-law partner. We were issued a procedural fairness letter which questions whether I am an eligible applicant, because apparently we didn't provide enough proof we have been living together. ***There was no mention of possible misrepresentation in the procedural fairness letter. ***
My question is: if I proceed with the application and provide more evidence, what happens if the application is refused? Most importantly, does this affect any future applications? e.g. if I later want to apply under express entry / PNP, would a refusal on the basis of ineligbility here have any negative effects in the future?
Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have applied for PR, sponsored by my common-law partner. We were issued a procedural fairness letter which questions whether I am an eligible applicant, because apparently we didn't provide enough proof we have been living together. ***There was no mention of possible misrepresentation in the procedural fairness letter. ***
My question is: if I proceed with the application and provide more evidence, what happens if the application is refused? Most importantly, does this affect any future applications? e.g. if I later want to apply under express entry / PNP, would a refusal on the basis of ineligbility here have any negative effects in the future?
Thanks!
As far as I'm aware if refused on this basis alone, there are no negative repercussions for future applications including spousal. If you've continued living together you could reapply as common law (assuming time living together now can be documented for longer period).

Or marry and reapply as married.

ghenny

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks!
When did you apply? And what are the proof of relationship you submit? Any cohabitation like lease of agreement? Joint bank account, photos and letter from friemds?

joshs146

Feb 27, 2021
When did you apply? And what are the proof of relationship you submit? Any cohabitation like lease of agreement? Joint bank account, photos and letter from friemds?
Applied over a year ago. We had all of that except the joint bank account.

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Applied over a year ago. We had all of that except the joint bank account.
i think you must give all of the items listed in the document chk list as the minimum. else it is risky as i read a few law cases and the doc ck list identifies most of the judges response.

Maoh.M

Sep 4, 2018
Thanks!
What you can do if you lack some of the items listed, is provide anything you can, Costco memberships cards if you have any, a letter of explanation for what you don't have or can't provide, mobile phone statements as far back as u can anything that can prove u have been and even still are together, oh and if you have Amazon reciepts or anything like that showing items going to your name or your partner's name that's a plus as well, those are some of the things I provided when I got that letter as well and it was a successful outcome.

joshs146

Feb 27, 2021
What you can do if you lack some of the items listed, is provide anything you can, Costco memberships cards if you have any, a letter of explanation for what you don't have or can't provide, mobile phone statements as far back as u can anything that can prove u have been and even still are together, oh and if you have Amazon reciepts or anything like that showing items going to your name or your partner's name that's a plus as well, those are some of the things I provided when I got that letter as well and it was a successful outcome.
Those are very good ideas, thank you!

Maoh.M

Sep 4, 2018
You're welcome, anything you have to show that you been living together at the same place is more than welcome no matter how simple you think it might be, if the names are on it together or its separate and still show you been there do it, it also doesn't hurt to write a letter stating how you guys started stuck through it and intend to build each other as the years go on

Reactions: joshs146