+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law partner sponsorship

ervdm

Nov 15, 2018
Hello everyone, I am a Canadian citizen born in Mexico (I have a double nationality) I have been studying in Mexico for the last 3 years which means I been in Canada working only in my vacation periods, winter break and summers, I would like to sponsor my partner but I am not sure if I am considered as I am living exclusively outside of Canada given the fact that I have been spending more than half the year out of the country for the last 3 years, we will move to Canada after I'm done medical school in one more year, we want to start the application process as soon as possible. all the comments are very much appreciated!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
In order to qualify for common law, you need to live with your partner for at least 12 months continuously. It doesn't matter if it's outside of Canada. Have you and your common law partner been living together for at least a year? If yes (and you can prove it, of course), you qualify as common law.

As a Canadian citizen, you can start an outland application from outside of Canada. You will just have to later on show intent to return to Canada.

ervdm

Nov 15, 2018
In order to qualify for common law, you need to live with your partner for at least 12 months continuously. It doesn't matter if it's outside of Canada. Have you and your common law partner been living together for at least a year? If yes (and you can prove it, of course), you qualify as common law.

As a Canadian citizen, you can start an outland application from outside of Canada. You will just have to later on show intent to return to Canada.

Yes we have been together for 4 years, my question is if I should declare myself as a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Yes we have been together for 4 years, my question is if I should declare myself as a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada
How long are your visits to Canada every year and does your partner go to Canada with you? Pauses in cohabitation can be an issue for common law applications, but you'll have to wait for some more experienced members on the exact details on that.

If you apply from abroad and if you plan on staying there longer (like if you apply while you're still studying abroad and will be for some time to come), then you should declare yourself as a citizen living outside of Canada, yes. If you apply at a point when you're just visiting your partner in their country and are soon going back to Canada, then no.

ervdm

Nov 15, 2018
How long are your visits to Canada every year and does your partner go to Canada with you? Pauses in cohabitation can be an issue for common law applications, but you'll have to wait for some more experienced members on the exact details on that.

If you apply from abroad and if you plan on staying there longer (like if you apply while you're still studying abroad and will be for some time to come), then you should declare yourself as a citizen living outside of Canada, yes. If you apply at a point when you're just visiting your partner in their country and are soon going back to Canada, then no.

I have spent there a month in wintertime and 3 months during the summer, I've had a job through those periods and yes he has come with me, he has a visitor visa that is valid for another 7 years

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I have spent there a month in wintertime and 3 months during the summer, I've had a job through those periods and yes he has come with me, he has a visitor visa that is valid for another 7 years
As long as you were together during those long visits, you should be okay. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I'm sure you're aware you may have challenge matching although at least you are a Canadian student living abroad.