+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Partner Sponsership

shawn michelle

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
hi there,

i have searched and have not been able to locate my specific questions. first things first - i have downloaded and printed the document checklist from the basic guide. however, the links included in both do not work (and i have the most current updated version of adobe reader) - they either take me to a "page that no longer exists" or they say that adobe cannot open it. i had an IT look at it and was told it's because they are secure forms and adobe cannot process all the requirements. if anyone could help me i would appreciate it SO much!

i am looking for the links in document IMM 5589 - anyone?

also, same checklist says i am to attach the completed checklist (parts A and B) to my application package. I have 10 pages of checklist but nothing on it indicates which parts are A and which are B. in fact, in the upper right hand corner there is a bold B. any clarification is appreciated.

i will follow up with any remaining questions here so as not to create additional threads.

thanks in advance!

shawn

shawn michelle

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
i have that document - thank you. many of the links within point to pages that no longer exist or are invalid so it's a little challenging, but i did find the IMM 1283 form at last.

speaking of that form - it states:

If you are sponsoring a person other than:
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no family members, or
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has dependent children who have no dependent children of their own, or
  • your child who has no children of his or her own,
my Common Law partner ('Husband") is a canadian citizen, our daughter is a canadian citizen, i am an american citizen and we all live in mexico. since our daughter and i both fall within those definitions do we still need to fill out this form?

also

Class of Application - cant apply for the Spouse or Common Law Partner class because we are not living in canada, correct? So i apply under the Family Class? Can I also apply for an Open Work Permit? i only see that option under the Spouse or Common Law Partner class.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi there,

i have searched and have not been able to locate my specific questions. first things first - i have downloaded and printed the document checklist from the basic guide. however, the links included in both do not work (and i have the most current updated version of adobe reader) - they either take me to a "page that no longer exists" or they say that adobe cannot open it. i had an IT look at it and was told it's because they are secure forms and adobe cannot process all the requirements. if anyone could help me i would appreciate it SO much!

i am looking for the links in document IMM 5589 - anyone?

also, same checklist says i am to attach the completed checklist (parts A and B) to my application package. I have 10 pages of checklist but nothing on it indicates which parts are A and which are B. in fact, in the upper right hand corner there is a bold B. any clarification is appreciated.

i will follow up with any remaining questions here so as not to create additional threads.

thanks in advance!

shawn
Download the forms directly from the IRCC website, not from the checklist.

Page 1 states "Part A - Forms Required" and page 4 states "Part B - Supporting Documents Required".

i have that document - thank you. many of the links within point to pages that no longer exist or are invalid so it's a little challenging, but i did find the IMM 1283 form at last.

speaking of that form - it states:

If you are sponsoring a person other than:
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no family members, or
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has dependent children who have no dependent children of their own, or
  • your child who has no children of his or her own,
my Common Law partner ('Husband") is a canadian citizen, our daughter is a canadian citizen, i am an american citizen and we all live in mexico. since our daughter and i both fall within those definitions do we still need to fill out this form?

also

Class of Application - cant apply for the Spouse or Common Law Partner class because we are not living in canada, correct? So i apply under the Family Class? Can I also apply for an Open Work Permit? i only see that option under the Spouse or Common Law Partner class.
Don't go randomly looking for information on the IRCC website. Many forms apply to many different immigration streams with vastly different requirements. Just follow the sponsorship guide and checklist.

As stated on the checklist for IMM1283: Only complete this form if the person you are sponsoring (your common-law partner) has one or more dependent child(ren), who has one or more dependent child(ren) of their own. That means it only applies if your dependent kid has her own kid.

Family Class and no, you can't apply for an OWP because you are not in Canada.

Guide 5289 - Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Agree with other comments. Also note that if / when you click on the links for some of the forms, it may display a message saying:

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document (etc....)

This is garbage! All it means is it is struggling to display the PDF using the browser plug-in. All you have to do is save it to your hard drive and open it from there, to do this:

1. Click anywhere on the screen to display the PDF 'drop menu' bar
2. Click on the icon that looks like a computer disc (third icon from the right)
3. Save it to a folder on your own hard disk
4. Exit and open the file you have just save on your hard disk - it will open fine.

shawn michelle

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
ok im on IMM 5669 Background/Declaration - does question 4 "have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada ever:" apply to my (the principal applicant) parents or just myself (as i am the only one applying - with no dependents or anyone whom is not already canadian)? For example if one of my parents had an infraction with teh law in his youth - would that need to be disclosed or are they only speaking about the people specifically in my application? thanks in advance!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
ok im on IMM 5669 Background/Declaration - does question 4 "have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada ever:" apply to my (the principal applicant) parents or just myself (as i am the only one applying - with no dependents or anyone whom is not already canadian)? For example if one of my parents had an infraction with teh law in his youth - would that need to be disclosed or are they only speaking about the people specifically in my application? thanks in advance!
People added to your application, meaning dependents or if you had added your spouse to your application, etc. As you're the only one being sponsored, it only pertains to you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#family

shawn michelle

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
ok im in the home stretch, of application completion phase 1 at least. a few last things:

form IMM 5589 - supporting documents

for sponser
#2 - are you (the sponser) a canadian citizen living outside canada? yes
"if you (the sponser) answered yes, provide proof that you will live in canada with your common-law partner once they become a perm res. of canada
how do we prove this?

#5 - "if you are not working in canada provide other documentation showing that you can support the person you are sponsering"
we own our own business here in mexico but both plan on working once we relocate. we obviously cant get jobs before we get there and can do so legally. will bank statements work? what other documents do you suggest?

for primary applicant
#1 - country specific documents - copy of national identity card does apply to me (as i have one) but it does not show up in the additional documents required for mexico under the search. do i still select "does not apply to me" and/or should i include a copy of it anyway?

#7 - proof of relationship to sponser - literally none of the documents they ask for are available or exist here in mexico. we don't own a home here, our rental properties (there are 2) are in one name each, utilities are each in only one of our names. we are on each other's bank accounts but only one name shows on each, my drivers license is from the states and his is from mexico but has our business address on it. it's just the way they do it down here and they are somewhat inflexible. i have everything else and it's pretty obvious we have been together for 13+ years - any suggestions or experience?