+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law or Conjugal - outside sponsorship

220VOLT

Dec 12, 2014
Hello to everyone, my first post on this forum but I'm confused...

I lived with my girlfriend (in her own home) together continuously in Canada for 18 months (whole relationship is 26 months long). I was on a work permit and legally worked in Canada since year 2010. After 5 months of living together I applied under AINP in Alberta for PR (as a single). After living 12 months our relationship become common law. I informed the AINP office about common law relationship after living for 16 months. My old work permit expired before the AINP office took my application for process and....
We decided that she will sponsor me outside of Canada because is faster than inside. I went back to Europe, completed my part of the application, sent it to her and she is close to finish her part. It's almost two months when I'm in Europe and we are using only skype.
Questions:
1. I marked the application as a Common Law sponsorship, is it correct ? Or because of this brake, almost 2 months of not living together, we should apply as a conjugal relationship ?

2. I hope she will send application for sponsorship outside of Canada in next few days. I'm planing to visit her in Canada soon, 3-4 weeks after sending the application. How long can I stay with her in Canada ?

Thank you for any advice.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
220VOLT said:
1. I marked the application as a Common Law sponsorship, is it correct ? Or because of this brake, almost 2 months of not living together, we should apply as a conjugal relationship ?
If you have lived for 12 months continuous together in the past, then you are common-law and must apply as such, even if not living together now. Hopefully you are submitting lots of proofs of your cohabitation.
Don't even think about conjugal, as that doesn't apply to you at all.

See here for more: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.36. How can someone in Canada sponsor a common-law partner from outside Canada when
the definition says “is cohabiting”?

2. I hope she will send application for sponsorship outside of Canada in next few days. I'm planing to visit her in Canada soon, 3-4 weeks after sending the application. How long can I stay with her in Canada ?
Assuming you are visa-exempt to Canada, then most likely you will get a 6-month visitor status when entering Canada. Make sure to bring proof of submitting your PR application, such as the delivery or payment receipt. CBSA is usually very lenient on visitors who already have PR app in progress.

220VOLT

Dec 12, 2014
Thanks for replay.

I'm little worry about this proofs of relationship like probably most of couples.
When we lived together we didn't care about proofs, just didn't expect that we will have to apply in this way. We are both very independent.... She owns home... I moved in... No lease or sth. No life insurance.... Joint bank account that we established two moths ago (once she was paying for sth, once me, was no reason for us), few statutory declaration from our friends, roommate, her mom, pictures form Christmas, birthdays, trips.

We want to get marry, church wedding (now hope that in year 2016), we wrote that in the application and we have emails that we sent to the wedding places asking about price. Now she is so worry about the application that came out with idea of getting married sooner....

End of this application is more stressful than beginning.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Read the three posts I made starting here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg357741#msg357741
for more ideas of things that would help to prove that you have been in a common law relationship.

meyts128

Jan 14, 2015
hi goodevening! im here in Canada as caregiver.. Landed March 2014(10months).. when i made my application 2012 i still dont have a partner.. so i didnt put anyone as my CommonLaw .. but back then when im still waiting for my Visa i had a GF who's in Qatar and im in the Philippines.. She went back to the Philippines and we live together(we both a house but its under my name) for only 7months because my Visa arrived.. and also she decided to go to HongKong to work.. we dont have joint bank account but we do have pictures, chats, and remittances(sending money) .. now i have to renew my TRV since im planning to have a vacation for a month in the Philippines .. my question is should i declare her as my common law for my renewal of TRV and for the application of PR? .. TIA..

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you only lived together for 7 months, she is not your common-law partner and you don't have to declare her.

meyts128

Jan 14, 2015
were in a relationship for two years .. we bought a house.. shes in qatar when our relationship started.. but when she got back in the Philippines we decided to live together but we spent time for 7 months only since my visa already arrived..