+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law evidence-address history from municipality

shoxdid

Feb 12, 2016
I have lived with my girl friend in the Netherlands for 4 years. After that I move to Belgium for my job for 3 years. Now we finally get back together and live in an appartment again. Does this count as common law as I just got ITA? I have no rental lease though to prove, however I have official document from municipality in Holland where both of our address history are presented. Is this sufficient to prove we have lived together?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
shoxdid said:
I have lived with my girl friend in the Netherlands for 4 years. After that I move to Belgium for my job for 3 years. Now we finally get back together and live in an appartment again. Does this count as common law as I just got ITA? I have no rental lease though to prove, however I have official document from municipality in Holland where both of our address history are presented. Is this sufficient to prove we have lived together?
You do have to prove you have to live together, however if you don't have a lease then I would suggest any bills that have both of your names, or different bills that have her name and address and your name and same address. Any photos from the last few years or any other evidence. You just need to prove you are connected.

My friend didn't have anything legally that connected both of them to one house so submitted photos, a recently created joint bank account and plane tickets for trips they took together over several years. Hope this helps.

shoxdid

Feb 12, 2016
Thank you:) did they get PR eventually? If VO thinks the evidence is not convincing enough, will they deny immediately or request more docs?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
shoxdid said:
Thank you:) did they get PR eventually? If VO thinks the evidence is not convincing enough, will they deny immediately or request more docs?
My friends did get pr - they got ITA in the first draw of EE! (Bastards).

Technically to claim common law you HAVE to be loving together. Just bare that in mind when completing documents as it will be apparent you were living apart.

Make your case for commonplace strong. Provide lots of evidence and maybe even an LOE with a timeline of your life together listing when each met the others families, any weddings you went to with pictures of you... Try and get all the evidence you can you were a couple. Did you file tax returns that you were common law?